The Planted Tank Forum banner

Should I get a "paradise betta" at Petco?

20K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  houseofcards 
#1 ·
Betta peeps!
First of all, I'm guessing "paradise betta" is a name they gave to this betta, because I can't find this name elsewhere. But I'm in love with these colors so I'm considering going back to get him tomorrow. Another thing....he's $20! Is that a normal price for this type?

I haven't had a betta in a very long time. I'd like to add him to my 55gal, but I also have male guppies. I've read some pages say that they attack guppies, and I've seen other pages that say they all get along. What are your thoughts? TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
I know lots of people don't like big chain stores but I must admit. They are what first got me into this hobby. I don't think you should hesitate because of where you buy it but I am wondering about compatibility issues. I would vote that you buy it then if it doesn't work out, bring him back. I am pretty sure that Petco takes fish back......anyone have experience with this.

#4 ·
LOL wth... paradise betta? -_- * shakes head at petco *

I think that coloration is called ' mustard gas '.

$20 is not that bad... I've spent $40 on an imported betta from thailand. ( not including shipping )

... But personally, I wouldn't spend $20 for a betta from Petco. :/

#5 ·
If you really like that coloring, tail shape (I really like it, too) then it should be worth the $20 - go for it. But I'd have a plan B if it doesn't work out with the male guppies. It's just going to depend on the individual fish and you won't really know until you try and observe carefully.

#6 ·
An exotic Anabantid you very rarely see anymore are Paradise Fish, especially the Macropodus Occelatus or Roundtail Paradise Fish.

It's a shame that Betta breeders are using this fish's name as it takes away some of name recognition that makes up the diversity of all the different types of interesting fish that have fallen out of fashion.

I think Paradise Fish are awesome. Full of interesting behavior and personality, and they get along with a lot of smaller schooling fish. They can be kept at goldfish temperatures, mine was in a 15 gallon with a school of White Clouds, without a heater at room temperature.

#14 ·
I agree with not adding him to your large tank-he may attack guppies, guppies could also go after his fins. If you really want him get a mesh breeder net and float him in the 55g in there-gets clean water but no fish on fish nipping. Make sure you have a lid on the tank or put a little lid on the breeder basket. Not a perm home but just so you can get him and keep for a few weeks until you get a tank setup for him.
Paradise betta is jut some bs name petco came up with to jack up price on some bettas. I notice most of them are delta tails-not a full halfmoon spread of tail, they are also often mustards-blue/black with yellow fins. King betta is another name petco came up with, its a half giant but they didn't want to call it that.

#15 ·
Looks like you've made your decision, but thought I'd chime in anyway. I've kept a lot of bettas over the years, most in various sizes of community tanks, and the compatibility largely depends on the betta. I havent' personally had one yet that couldn't live in a community tank, but I have had a couple that would shred guppy tails given the opportunity. I've also had half a dozen or more that didn't. Larger tanks seem to lessen the likelihood of issues like that, so you have that in your favor. Shoot, my best friend has 2 half moon males in her 55 without any issues (not that I'm recommending that - just saying that having that kind of space makes a lot things possible that couldn't be done in a 5 or 10 gallon tank.

#16 ·
I'm not a huge fan of big box but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Bettas at Petco/Petsmart. Do you think they're breeding them or something. Petco now owns Live Aquaria so I'm sure sourcing is the same. Both of my Bettas are from Petco and they are doing outstanding. $20 is a good price for that fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.