Potential stock list - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Potential stock list

Alright, here's what I plan to have in my 36 gallon bowl front as far as fish and inverts goes, the footprint of the tank is 30L x 15W x 21H:

1 pair Apistogramma Borelli

1 Pair Checkerboard Cichlid

7-11 Celestial Pearl Danios

7-11 Rummy Nose Tetras

7-11 Threadfin Rainbows

6-9 Delicate blue-eyed Rainbows

and finally 10-15 RCS.

Question, would the RCS get taken out by the cichlids? The tank is low tech and there should be plenty of cover so there will be enough oxygen and also enough room for the fish. Layout will have the plants and hardscape more towards the right and back of the tank. Might take out one pair of the cichlids, if I do I'll be keeping the checkerboards instead of the apistos (unless I can find a trio of the apistos for a decent price).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 05:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cichlids love shrimp buffets . I'd say do away with the apistos and just get small group of checkerboards instead.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by neumahrs View Post
Cichlids love shrimp buffets . I'd say do away with the apistos and just get small group of checkerboards instead.
Alright, it's going to be a challenge to keep them alive. The Checkerboards are actually cichlids as well, so do you think they'll be ok with the shrimp? Their mouths seem very small . . .
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 07:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on Fire View Post
Alright, it's going to be a challenge to keep them alive. The Checkerboards are actually cichlids as well, so do you think they'll be ok with the shrimp? Their mouths seem very small . . .
Checkerboard (guessing you're talking about dicrossus sp.) are pretty small but even so there is still the chance of the shrimps being fish food. However I've known people who kept them together with shrimp and the adult shrimps were fine.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

IMO that's really overstocked for a 36gal tank. I'd go with one pair of dwarf cichlids and only 2 of the schooling fish. And Amanos would be a better bet than RCS, though you can certainly try them if you don't mind if they turn into feeders.

Only time I mixed RCS and dwarf cichlids (an apisto and some juvenile rams) it was a feeding frenzy.

Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

if I were to stock it I'd do 1 pair checkerboards, 12 cpds, 2-3 ottos, and adult sized rcs. Make sure you have plenty of hiding places for the shrimp.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, I want the checkerboards and the school of CPDs for sure. Idk if I want rainbows or the rummy nose tetras for the 2nd school of fish. Might go with the rummy nose because I'm not sure if I want rainbows jumping out of my tank, the only opening I have is for the filter on the back. If I can't have the RCS, are true chinese algae eaters a good bet? Or just go with the amanos? I kind of wanted something that would add more beauty to the tank as well. The tank currently has 6 rocks in it for the hardscape, five to the right and one alone in the left back corner (might move it). I will be adding about 4 pieces of driftwood to the tank, one large main piece and three smaller ones to be either propped up or kind of just places along the floor. I will plant either java fern or some type of crypt next to the main piece of driftwood and ordered 2 large mats of java fern and will be purchasing a fairly large quantity of Taiwan and Christmas moss to grow on the pieces of driftwood. That reminds me that I need to buy a camera . . . But I think there should be a decent amount of cover for the fish and shrimp.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have to agree with Laurel. That's an awful lot of fish. With lots of filtration, and diligent husbandry, you might be able to pull it off, but with that load of fish the tank will look unsightly. I would keep a pair of cichlids and maybe a dozen schoolers in a tank that size. Ottos, etc if you want to also. They don't create much of a bioload, and don't "pop out at you" when you look at the tank.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 01:14 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

You do NOT want to put a Chinese algae eater in this tank (or any other)- that's a fish that should never be sold as a "community" fish- they get 12" and very aggressive as they mature.

Otos, nerite snails, and/or Amano shrimp would all be good algae control for your tank.

Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The true Chinese Algae eater gets to 6" and is a rather peaceful fish. They get mixed up with the nasty ones all of the time. But I guess I'll go with otos, lol.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, I got 8 CPDs in the mail today, all healthy, but I didn't realize how tiny these guys are. Gonna need at least 8 more of them. They are the first inhabitants of my tank. Also got 4 plants in today as well, 5 if you include the marimo moss covered driftwood.

Planning to get:

School of 8 Emperor Tetras (Nematobrycon palmeri)

8 Karri Tetras (Inpaichthys kerri)

10 dwarf cories

and a pair of either GBR, Checkerboard, or Apistogramma trifasciata.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode