The Planted Tank Forum banner

Cardinals vs rummy nose Iwagumi

3K views 34 replies 9 participants last post by  Nigel95 
#1 ·
Hey first I was 100% sure about cardinals. Then I read they don't school thight so the choice went for rummy nose. Now people tell me my tank wouln't be enough colourfull without the cardinals. The rummy nose school tight + less distraction from the rocks which suits better for an Iwagumi. But the colours of cardinals are lovely but more distraction. hmmmm......

What do you think? Let me know ;)

My tank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqx_pP_r4HQ

#2 ·
Rummynose tend to school tighter than cardinals from what I've experienced. That being said, once either fish acclimates and gets comfortable in the tank, schooling behavior will reduce unless there's something in there to put them on the defense. When you see the nice aquascape photos of a tight school, that is usually because the fish were added right before the picture and they're still skittish about their new environment. Once they relax, there won't be a lot of schooling unless they feel threatened. I would go with which ever fish you like the best. Eventually each one will just hang out in a loose group (unless there's a rambunctious tankmate or something that causes them to stay defensive).

#3 ·
Rummynose tend to school tighter than cardinals from what I've experienced. That being said, once either fish acclimates and gets comfortable in the tank, schooling behavior will reduce unless there's something in there to put them on the defense. When you see the nice aquascape photos of a tight school, that is usually because the fish were added right before the picture and they're still skittish about their new environment. Once they relax, there won't be a lot of schooling unless they feel threatened. I would go with which ever fish you like the best. Eventually each one will just hang out in a loose group (unless there's a rambunctious tankmate that causes them to stay defensive).
Hmm didn't expect this with the rummy noses tbh! Thanks for advice. Maybe going for the cardinals then for some extra colour in my scape... so hard to choose :p

#4 ·
The rummynose may just be more shy by nature = more likely to school. But the longer they go without feeling threatened, the less they will school tightly.

Perhaps try the rummynose and a betta or dwarf gourami? The betta or dwarf gourami swimming around may tighten up their school and will add a splash of color to the tank. Or you could try +/- 8 or 9 of each cardinals and rummys. I don't think either choice will disappoint. Every aquarist must keep Cardinals and Rummynoses eventually. The order you get them doesn't matter, haha

Seriously though, either will look great. Nice tank

#12 ·
The blue isn't actually the same. At certain angles or conditions it has a greenish shine to it (hence the common name). Go to your local shop and have a look if they have the two different species; you will see what I mean.

Reactions: Opare
#15 ·
Think I go for the greens as I would like the 'maximum' pop effect against my light background. As they are smaller than cardinals I was thinking to start with like 25? Maybe increase later if I dont find them enough.

#16 ·
I have had both and like both. Rummynose school much better, cardinals are more colorful. But, when cardinals get comfortable they spread out and it looks like a giant barf of color, as opposed to a nice school. Rummynose are pretty nice in their own right once acclimated. Their red noses get really red.

#18 · (Edited)
Been to the LFS and damn the choice is still hard. The green neons seem to color different depending how the light is falling on them. The water with the green neons was pretty dirty at the LFS so based on pictures the cardinals and neon tetra look better. All the background at the LFS are black, so hard to say which would be the best. Think I like the cardinals the most.... Should I add like 5 per week when the tank is cycled or is more at once possible? Guess the drip acclimatization is best when I get them straight of the LFS with no ammonia build up in the bag (from shipping).

Attachments

#20 ·
New plan what if I buy 5 cardinals and 5 green neons and decide then which I like the most. At the end I would only have 5 of 1 type but if they school together shouldn't be a problem?

#24 ·
Yeah 34 gallon. Thanks think I go for 10 then as Opare said that Also. But If I end up with like 20 green neons and 5 Cardinals. Would the Cardinals feel lonely? Or are they Okay with the green neons in a group.

#27 ·
True but I would have the fish that suits the 'best' against my background. 5 out of 20/30 isn't much right. Could also start with 3/3 (cardinals / green neons) or 4/4 to make the difference less.

#29 ·
I would concur, just go with one or the other. I have often ended up in the past with a hodgepodge of fish because I wanted to try too many options.
Personally I find Cardinals to be much hardier long term than Neons or presumably their close cousins, the green tetras.
They also are quite good shoalers, better than Neons in my experience.
They don't school so much as shoal, that is, they generally stay together but not a lot of directional swimming.

#30 ·
I would love to go with one type but I really don't know whats best with my light background. Personal I like cardinals more (if I look in the LFS) but @Axelrodi202 told me green neons would be better against my background. That's why the choice is hard :p

So getting both is the best solution.. I think

#32 · (Edited)
@Nigel95 yea, if i were you, i would be confuse to make decision about livestock.. there are so many choices.. :D :D

but since u like cardinal so much... i think its better to stick with it...
they have red at the bottom of their body and blue neon look color at the side...

i personally think every fish is good... depends on your preference...
don't worry about the color.. there are plenty way to enhance your fish's color..
from diet, water condition etc.. (thats what i heard from a famous fish keeper from you tube)

and if i were you i'll add 10-15 at first.. then add more if i feel they schooling to small in that tank..
and if not mistaken, i read about scaring your fish once in a while is good for them too.. (dont over do it pls)
but i forget where i read/heard it... gonna find it and share it to here :D

i know it sound awful, i kinda find it weird too..
but by doing that once in a while,it will make ur fish stay in guard..
some fish has that particular color for self defense.. so when they feel threaten .. they make that color pop up..

and like @Opare said.. with u stay close to the tank, it will already spook the fish.. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.