The Planted Tank Forum banner

Cherry Barb jumped

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  WaterLife 
#1 ·
So I had a jumper today, one of my female cherry barbs. Didn't see if happen even though I was in the room. I got up from my desk and found her on the floor. She wasn't moving so I though she was dead but when I went to pick her up she started bouncing around. So I netted her up and put her back in the tank. She has some slight whiteness on her body and fins but is otherwise looking perfectly heathy and swimming around with the others like nothing happened. Anything I should be looking for after this to see if there is a problem with her health?

#2 ·
Only issues to look for is if the fish starts behaving very strangely, indicating brain damage from going too long without oxygen.

Sounds like she isn't in too bad of shape though or she would of been nearly lifeless, not being able to swim and difficulty breathing. I had a Arowana that jumped (darn fly kept landing under the light :mad: ). He was really dry and pretty much what I described (lifeless, eyes were sunken in and all, thought he was for sure a goner, but I always try everything I can before calling it quits), but I held him near the water surface, holding a airstone under his gills. Took what felt like an hour of treating him like that before he seemed to be breathing alright on his own. Still was not able swim around properly for a few hours, and had trouble keeping balanced/properly buoyant. Amazing he suffered no noticeable brain damage and still is perfectly healthy to this day.

So yeah, sounds like your cherry barb should be just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.