Thinking about getting some discus but... - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thinking about getting some discus but...

I need to find somewhere to put a 75 gallon (already got a 60, 29, and 20 gallon long) and pretty sure my girlfriend will kill me.

I really would love to set up a discus tank. I have some nice manzanita branches, zebra rock, and a ton of jungle val. I would like more hardscape. Is there anything I need to consider thats different than keeping other tropical fish? My ph in all my tanks are below 7 and kh is 2. How many can I keep in a 75?

Even my son loves fish tanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 05:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
I need to find somewhere to put a 75 gallon (already got a 60, 29, and 20 gallon long) and pretty sure my girlfriend will kill me.

I really would love to set up a discus tank. I have some nice manzanita branches, zebra rock, and a ton of jungle val. I would like more hardscape. Is there anything I need to consider thats different than keeping other tropical fish? My ph in all my tanks are below 7 and kh is 2. How many can I keep in a 75?

Discus need very good water quality and appreciate a tall tank. Nothing wrong with a 75g but if it were me I would go with a 24" high tank like a 65g (just personal preference not sating its better than the 75g). Are you planning on breeding or keeping them? Are you getting juvies or adults? In a 75g I would say 6 adults is about right. If you are getting juvies be prepared to do a lot of water changes. The reason is to get the most growth out of your discus you need to feed heavy and that equates to nitrates. I always kept my nitrates below 10ppm and fed a homemade mixture of beef heart, spirlina, cod, omega 3 oil, gelatin and shrimp. I would suggest getting adult discus with good coloration as opposed to juvies because of the workload and you can pick the biggest and best. They are a demanding fish to look after in term of water quality but I think they are the most beautiful freshwater fish hands down.

Dan
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Make sure you're willing to put in the money and work. Discus are a fish where there are worlds of difference between low and high quality fish, in terms of health, aesthetics, and enjoyment. Keep in mind they like friends - just getting one or two won't cut it.

I agree a 75 could technically support 6 without many other tankmates, but to me they would look a bit cramped. But then I'm the guy who plans to stock my 120 almost solely with green neon tetras...
Dman911 likes this.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
Discus need very good water quality and appreciate a tall tank. Nothing wrong with a 75g but if it were me I would go with a 24" high tank like a 65g (just personal preference not sating its better than the 75g). Are you planning on breeding or keeping them? Are you getting juvies or adults? In a 75g I would say 6 adults is about right. If you are getting juvies be prepared to do a lot of water changes. The reason is to get the most growth out of your discus you need to feed heavy and that equates to nitrates. I always kept my nitrates below 10ppm and fed a homemade mixture of beef heart, spirlina, cod, omega 3 oil, gelatin and shrimp. I would suggest getting adult discus with good coloration as opposed to juvies because of the workload and you can pick the biggest and best. They are a demanding fish to look after in term of water quality but I think they are the most beautiful freshwater fish hands down.

Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrodi202 View Post
Make sure you're willing to put in the money and work. Discus are a fish where there are worlds of difference between low and high quality fish, in terms of health, aesthetics, and enjoyment. Keep in mind they like friends - just getting one or two won't cut it.

I agree a 75 could technically support 6 without many other tankmates, but to me they would look a bit cramped. But then I'm the guy who plans to stock my 120 almost solely with green neon tetras...

I'm willing to spend the time and money. My 60 gallon is 48" long by 12"wide by 24 high. Will another 60 gallon be better?

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Any tank with only a narrow 12" width is far from ideal for keeping discus, particularly if you want a planted environment.

Go with the 75 which is a much better sized tank all around for keeping a half dozen discus, which is a good number to keep to maintain pecking order harmony.

Given you're new to discus, it would be best to go with the largest discus your wallet will allow - say 4" or larger near adult fish which have better developed immune systems than young, smaller fish which are more prone to health issues, particularly in any planted set-up.

You've received some good advice above, so follow it if you wish to succeed well at discus-keeping - and to lessen the risk of problems as much as possible, get your discus only from a well-recognized reputable and experienced source for supplying high quality discus.
There are several excellent suppliers of discus in Ontario and B.C. which airship discus at reasonable cost & guarantee live delivery.
One excellent source where I've obtained most of my discus is Canadian Aqua Farm (Rick Grange) in Maple Ridge, B.C., which is basically as close to you as a couple of good sources that I'm familiar with in southern Ontario. Google for their website & contact details.
Dman911 likes this.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I'm willing to spend the time and money. My 60 gallon is 48" long by 12"wide by 24 high. Will another 60 gallon be better?
If its a display tank with adult discus I prefer 24" height but its not crucial and its really based on your taste. If you doing planted it complicates things a little just because of the water quality needed for discus but its still doable with commitment. If you are a first time discus keeper a well established mature tank will be best but if its a new setup I would suggest (this is only a suggestion) keeping them in a bare bottom tank or sand because its easier to clean all the poop. The poop will sit on top of the substrate rather than work its way into it. Bare bottom is easiest but that does not mean you cannot use other substrates I just find it easier. I think 20"+ H and 18"+ W are favorable so there is nothing wrong with the 75g. There is no 1 best tank and if your at or over those dimensions they will be happy with the tank size, its the water quality that really really really counts.

Dan
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Oops very sorry, I mistakenly thought your location was Winnipeg, Canada - my bad.

The best quality supplier closest to you in PA., is Discus Hans in Baltimore, Md. Google that website for contact details.
Next nearest is Chicago Discus in Chicago, Ill.

To ScottW:

I just recalled there is another excellent discus supplier about the same distance away from you in Pa. than Hans Discus is in Baltimore, and that is:

Discus 'R' Us (discusrus.com) - James Perrenod, in Ocean Gate, New Jersey - easy enough driving distance to select your fish in person rather than having them shipped.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-16-2017 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 09:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
To ScottW:

I just recalled there is another excellent discus supplier about the same distance away from you in Pa. than Hans Discus is in Baltimore, and that is:

Discus 'R' Us (discusrus.com) - James Perrenod, in Ocean Gate, New Jersey - easy enough driving distance to select your fish in person rather than having them shipped.

Heard great things about them in the past although I have never dealt with them personally.

Dan
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
Heard great things about them in the past although I have never dealt with them personally.

Dan
Yes, I've seen photos of a number of discus purchased from Discus 'R' Us, and they are top quality - I too have read several very positive reviews from people who've bought fish from James.

And ScottW - please keep in mind that getting high quality discus to begin with, is 50% of the way to being successful with discus-keeping - imho.
Dman911 likes this.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the help guys. I will look into those retailers. I planned on more of a hardscape with a few plants with white sand.

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 12:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

All I can add is Do Not mix different sources of Discus. That was my downfall with them. =/
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by secuono View Post
All I can add is Do Not mix different sources of Discus. That was my downfall with them. =/
Yes, that can often be bad news if you don't do a proper and complete quarantine.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by secuono View Post
You mean only keep the same species of discus?

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 02:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
You mean only keep the same species of discus?
Different suppliers

Dan
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Will 2 Sun Sun 304 canister filters be sufficient for the 75 gallon?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode