The Planted Tank Forum banner

Please help ID illness on Sterbai

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  BettaBettas 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have been having a hard time figuring out what is wrong with two of my Sterbai corydoras. At first I thought that it was bacterial infection and it still could be.... but I’m not sure what kind. The have been covered with the white slime like patches for over a month and I have not been able to cure them.

Both Sterbai seem fine. They are active, they eat well and it does not seem to spread to fast on them. I have tried Paraguard with little effect. If any it might have halted the spread but I can’t really say for sure if it has. I tried API General cure and E.M. Erythromycin, also with little or no effect. I am currently medicating the tank with ICH-X which was recommended to me because it can help with Chilodonella, if indeed it is Chilodonella. I have ruled out Columnaris which I have dealt with in the past.

They are in a 26gallon long tank with several other corydoras and a few Endlers. The tank is a bit crowded but that’s because it is only temporary until I move them into my 125gallon tank. Water parameters are check out fine since I do water changes every other day.

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
Temp 75
PH 7.8
GH 4
KH 4

Substrate is ¾ Mr. Aqua soft soil and the right side is Flourite black sand.
Filtration is Eheim Ecco 2232 and spong filter.
Planted with Anubias, Java fern, Buce, Bolbitis
Smooth rocks and stones
Tank has been running for years (2008)
Food- live grindal and white worms. Omega one Algae wafers, Sera tabs, New Life Spectrum ect…

I use 50/50 tap/ RO water for water changes. Fish load is…

8 Sterbai
9 Arcuatus
9 Duplicareus
8 Venezuelanus
9 Similis
2 Emerald Green
12 Endler young as dithers

Strange thing is that bacterial infection or if it is Chilodonella is very contagious. But no other fish seems to be infected. Sorry for the Algae on the glass.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I had Sterbai's with something similar, and it hung around for months, mainly because I didn't know what it was or how to treat it. It was in the same spot (on their head), and sometimes a bit bumpy looking. It almost looked like a fungus growing on the fish, so it might not be what you have.

Anyway, i did Methylene Blue dips daily for 5-7 days (10 sec dip each day), and it cleared up very nicely.

#3 ·
I might try some fresh carbon in the filter(to clear meds), with twice weekly water changes for a few week's if treating the fish in the main tank.
OP says tank is running eight year's,but how long have cory's been in the tank.?
Could the fish just be old and approaching it's end day's?
No salt I presume has been used in the tank ? (cory's are sensitive to salt).
Shotgun approach (ie) tossing round's of med's at fishes seldom work's.
Just sayin.
Even with proper diagnosis and med's is 50/50 chance the fishes fully recover IME.
Sorry.

#4 ·
Definitely not Columnaris. Looks like it's slime coat is irritated, might be Costia.

Paraguard is iffy on it's effectiveness since it does not contain Formalin. So for this case (usually I prefer the safer non-formaldehyde Paraguard, but Costia is better treated with Formalin), I would actually suggest using a Formalin/Malachite Green combo med. Quite a few brands to choose from -common ich med combo - such as Kordon Rid Ich Plus or Mardel Quick Cure.

Methylene Blue dips or Potassium Permanganate may be effective.

Make sure to keep the water quality in top shape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.