The Planted Tank Forum banner

How to maintaining same water parameter for Main and Quarantine?

710 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Nordic 
#1 ·
Been advised by quite alot of experienced hobbyist to get a quarantine tank.
But how do you maintain the same water parameters for the fish in your quarantine tank? To help the fish acclimate / get use to the waters in your display tank?

#4 ·
If you have not/do not alter the water in display tank ,then water in display and quarantine should be close to same/same as source water used for water changes.
Just need to change a portion of water from both tanks each week to maintain this.
If water in display tank is very much different than that in quarantine ,then you may want to acclimate the fish after quarantine (4 to 6 weeks) to the display tank when ready to introduce the fishes .

#5 ·
One thing to consider if you are getting new livestock is if your water is similar to the water the fish are coming from. If not you should try to match the quarantine tank to the water the fish came from as much as possible. Then during the quarantine period slowly acclimate the fish to the new water by doing water changes.

#7 ·
Hello, thanks for all the reply. I mentioned previously in an earlier thread that my tap water is PH 7.8 vs my display tank which is PH 6.2.
My main display has substrate which buffers my PH down to current levels. Therefore, I am checking if there is a way to ensure both quarantine tank and display is more or less the same, so that this allow new fish to "get use" to the parameters.

During water change, can I drain out the water in the quarantine tank and top up water from the display? Will there be excess of nitrates in this case? Seeing that we normally WC with tap water treated with Seachem Prime. (so no ammonia or nitrate).

#8 ·
If you're worried about it then I would do extra water changes and just change the water in the quarantine with water from the display. But I also think you're worried about nothing. I would just quarantine in tap water and acclimate them when you add them to the display.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.