The Planted Tank Forum banner

Tetra with large growth that burst out two sides of its body. Help! Pics

9K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Discusluv 
#1 ·
I have a planted 29 gallon tank with neon tetras, xray tetras, cory cats, and an Amano shrimp. I have not had any fish related illnesses since I set up the tank about 9ish months ago. I haven't added any fish or plants in about 4 months. In that 4 month span I have only added water, fertilizers, fish food (including frozen blood worms) so I can't imagine that this is a newly introduced pathogen.

Approximately a week ago I noticed one xray tetra had developed a relatively large (a little larger than it's eye) light pinkish cyst/tumor above its spine near its tail. It grew daily. The tumor was oval shaped. I could only tell something was there because I could see through the fish's body as it is a x-ray tetra. Then about 2 days ago the tumor burst out of one side of its body. Yesterday it burst out the other side (the tumor actually ruptured the skin/scales of the fish. The fish appears to be able to swim normally when food is offered. However, when there isn't food, it hangs out in the back of the tank out of the current for most of the time (to seemingly avoid having to swim).

I apologize for the poor pictures.

No other fish appear to have any similar issues and the other x-ray tetras have no visible tumors inside their bodies.

What is the diagnosis? Is it infectious? Can the fish be saved?

Thank you

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
My betta has something that looks the exact same, and it goes away and comes back. I don't know what it is though. I'm kind of scared that it's tb, so just don't put your hand in with any cuts.
Wish i could help out more.
Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Lumps and bumps in fish are usually fatal in my experience . Considering that the thing has quickly grown to a point where it's broken through the skin in 2 places , I don't think the fish is going to last too long . If the growth doesn't kill it , a secondary infection from the break in the skin will . I'd get it out of the tank , at the least , though destroying the fish would probably be a better idea .

#7 ·
I had a molly with something similar. I believe she hurt herself in the tank and the bruise/cut got infected but I didnt notice until too late. It became HUGE to the point where I separated her into a large plastic bag still in the tank so she could stay heated in the same water she was in and still see everything. I would just add water from the tank every few hours. It was a good thing because the next day whatever it was burst wide open and she passed. At least any infection or parasite that burst with it was contained in the large zip lock.

#9 ·
Hi there,

Same thing happened to one of our tetras as well. Seems like there's not much info on this though. We just moved 400 miles away and every single fish and shrimp survived. But about 10 days after the move we found out the tetra in the picture has the same white cyst/tumor thing. Anyone has any other ideas except ending its life?

Thanks.

#10 ·
Might be neon tetra disease. I hope it's not, but if it is it's not curable. You can sometimes keep it from showing up for a while by taking meticulous care of your tank. I have a single cardinal left in a qt tank that has it. I lost 4 over the course of a month and a half. This one keeps hanging in there (3 months now I think).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.