The Planted Tank Forum banner

Shoaling fish with Pearl G in 40B

701 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  dlanderson 
#1 ·
I'm setting up a 40B at home for my family. I have four tanks 20 and under in the classroom where I teach, all heavily planted, so I'm not too new all of this. I was thinking of a few pearl gourami and a school of corys but I'm not sure what smaller fish I could have.

I'd like one group of 15+ fish of the same species and my soon to be 3 year old wanted zebra danios but I think they're too energetic for the gouramis. I'm open to suggestions given what I want to stock. If you can convince me to go away from the pearls I might but love corys so they are a necessity. Temp around 76 and pH will be around 7.5 to 7.8. Would love to hear some ideas of fairly hardy fish my daughter can learn to care for. Thanks for everything.

#2 ·
Danios are only energetic at feeding time. They are easily distracted by crumbling a bit of food into the filter's outlet.
Then you can feed the other fish. You won't even see 15 of them. I have probably a bit over a hundred in a 30 right now, granted they are still only half adult size.

Look out for the long fin variety, but make sure to get adults, as they end up in your filter without precautions when small.... (learning to swim with the fins).

#5 ·
That's good to know. I don't feel so bad trying them then. Thanks.

We have harlequin rasbora and neon tetra in a 40b with pearls. Both do great and meet your requirements. Ours is also a planted tank set up to help our little ones learn to care for fish!

ETA: I forgot! We have peppered cories too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've thought about harlequins also but I have a pretty limited selection so I'll have to see what is available. We have a dog but my little girl loves my tanks in my classroom so wanted to let her enjoy them at home too.

#4 ·
We have harlequin rasbora and neon tetra in a 40b with pearls. Both do great and meet your requirements. Ours is also a planted tank set up to help our little ones learn to care for fish!

ETA: I forgot! We have peppered cories too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.