Fin rot or just ripped fins - The Planted Tank Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Fin rot or just ripped fins

So i have this betta all alone in his 2.6 gallon filtered tank. I notice this huge tear in his fin. I did some testings and theres absolutely no ammonia but 3 ppm of nitrates. Is it filter thats sucking him in?
https://imgur.com/gallery/FtiMR
NickAu likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

I would upgrade the tank to a large one in the long run. Is the tank heated? What are the water parameters of this tank? is it cycled? What filter do you have? and what kind of flow is on it? (S,M,S?)
Looks to me like it ripped its fins, and they are slowly recovering or healing.
NickAu likes this.

I live for the nights that I cant remember, with the people that I wont forget. Drake Show Me a Good Time

Last edited by BettaBettas; Yesterday at 03:33 PM. Reason: .
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The tank is cycled

And my room is always 83 degrees so no need for a heater
NickAu likes this.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-21-2017 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodis View Post
And my room is always 83 degrees so no need for a heater
Its not about what temp your room is, its about what temp the water is. Also I stated much more and asked slightly more, than just what temperature your room is...
NickAu likes this.

I live for the nights that I cant remember, with the people that I wont forget. Drake Show Me a Good Time

Last edited by BettaBettas; 03-21-2017 at 04:40 PM. Reason: .
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:01 AM
Planted Member

Can you please post a photo of the tank?
How often do you change water?
What is the water temp in your tank right now?
What additives do you use?
What sort of filter is it.
Any chance of posting a short video so I can see how much current is in the tank?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
Its not about what temp your room is, its about what temp the water is. Also I stated much more and asked slightly more, than just what temperature your room is which I didn't ask.
You're coming on a little strong! You asked him if his tank was heated. He told you, and correctly so, why it didn't need to be.
BettaBettas likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
You're coming on a little strong! You asked him if his tank was heated. He told you, and correctly so, why it didn't need to be.
LOL sorry if I came on harsh I just get to the point, may seem harsh im just trying to give as much straight info as possible!
Thanks @Kubla for telling me
I do still recommend getting a cheap 20 watt heater or something, a small one you can just shove in there unnoticeably, just in case a temp change comes on.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I changed the water weekly about 20-40 percent( i have plants bacopa cariolana and a moss ball)

The water right now is at 81 degrees

The filter is made by aqueon and for current...It use to drag my betta around so i had to add a little sponge on the outtake( a little current but not as bad for my betta)

And the only additive i use is "bettafix" used to keep cuts clean and help with the regrowth. Only temporarily though

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-21-2017 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 02:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

alright alright, so... I really want to at this point suggest to you a sponge filter for this type of situation that is filtration options. But, in regards to using bettafix, I have used this before and I will say its ok, not best but its alright. Um try to get some medicine, for a specific cause, in this case fin rot or some other disease for example. Do some what I call Google research on specifically manufactured meds for fin rot and come back give us the info you thought was important you found, then I can further help you lower down what you should get or think suits best for you.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 02:50 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
You asked him if his tank was heated. He told you, and correctly so, why it didn't need to be.
So can you tell me what the water temp is at 2 am? or 4 am. You need a heater end of discussion.

Quote:
And the only additive i use is "bettafix"
Bettafix is RUBBISH the only thing it fixes is the petshops bank balance.

Read this. All Betta Owners Read!!!!! Melafix Alert!!!!!! Read!!!! Read!!!! Danger!!!! - 4721

How are you treating your water? Eg Seachem prime?

Quote:

The filter is made by aqueon and for current...It use to drag my betta around so i had to add a little sponge on the outtake( a little current but not as bad for my betta)
Can your Betta hover in 1 spot without any effort if no then the current is too strong.
BettaBettas likes this.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 03:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

in a nut shell

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 03:21 AM
Algae Grower

Wowza this thread has an absurd amount of jumping down people's throats...

If its any consolation, it looks more like ripped fins with some parts in a state of healing, to me. This doesn't mean you're off the hook. From what I can see in your pictures, if I had to blame something, it would have to be the filter. A quick fix for this is cutting a slit in a sponge and sliding it over the intake. This will also reduce some of the flow if that's a concern you have. Adding an indian almond leaf would also be a nice light antifungal option without the stress of dosing, etc etc and to aid in healing.

As for the other comments, if your room stays between 75-80ish degrees I see no need for a heater, it will only take up precious space for your little guy. The tank could be bigger, I'd have to say a 5 gallon would be a nice place to move up to soon-ish. Keeping an eye on second hand aquariums would be a good idea. It would be a quick switch to a larger living space for him (why have a studio apartment when you can have a 1 bedroom+den, right?!)
WaterLife likes this.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 03:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Exactly Natasha!

Water temp will adjust to ambient temp, so no need for a heater if the room is heated.

And Bettafix/Melafix does have medicinal properties (for mild to moderate cases), that's a scientifically proven fact. Though I do recommend DIY with Tea Tree oil to save money.

Indian Almond Leaves, as Natasha mentioned, and other tannin sources, do have medicinal properties as well. And Bettas actually prefer the blackwater/acidic pH range that tannins would bring.

I personally would also prefer keeping Bettas in a minimum of a 5 gallon (10g would be better and usually even cheaper when on sale).

And yes, it does not look like active fin rot and the fins are healing. Just keep doing what you are doing, giving it time to heal and make a prefilter or figure out what may have harmed his fins.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 05:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

That is about right My betta stays in a 12.5g tank with my breeder corydoras. He has a mass of dense foliage floating in a corner to play in. If it is not there, he gets antsy when the corys come to his corner.
He did stay in a 1.5 foot tank before. our tanks over here are normally in increments of 30cm or half of that. I'll post a pic of his old 18-liter tank. The tank he is in now holds +/-50 litres of water when filled to 3cm from the top.

Physically it is large enough, BUT, it is such a pain doing water changes in small tanks like his old one without everything being blown around by the incoming water, that you start neglecting that function.

Here is Vlad's old home.

BettaBettas and NickAu like this.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:22 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
I read this, what feels like every "betta fish" post now. "I have my fish in a 2 gallon tank, oh I have my fish in a 3 gallon tank"
No this is not acceptable for any fish. Just got done telling some other guy this exact same thing, no fish, NO FISH, will Thrive in a small tank such as that, NONE. period.
While you did come on a bit strong BettaBettas, I do understand your concern. I have had this exact conversation before. And while a fish like a slow moving Betta might survive, people do the exact same thing with larger fish like Angelfish and Oscars.

Anyway, the main reason I was commenting was on the fact that you keep your bedroom at 83 DEGREES!! Lol, was I the only one that thought this was weird???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode