Ultimate Nano-Fish Food Combinations - The Planted Tank Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Lightbulb Ultimate Nano-Fish Food Combinations

I am highly motivated to feed my fish the best food I can, it is not very expensive to favor good foods and I often find for just a few dollars more a year I can get something that is actually good for the fish I keep in containment. I am not a fan of feeding variety in the form of this one day and that the next, I prefer to use a blend daily. I do not even mess with bloodworms and treats, if the fish enjoy what's good for them why bother.

My particular fish are just Tetra and Gourami, specifically small species such as Ember Tetra and Dwarf Gourami. I swear by New Life Spectrum pellets, however even the .5mm pellets are too large for my fish. So what I have been doing for a while now is taking the pellets and grinding them up into a powder using a pill crusher. I have a whole jar of Shrimp Baby food that I do not feed my shrimp (I prefer sinking pellets) however this is high quality shrimp food it lists a large variety on the ingredients just as the NLS does. By the time I grind the NLS up its the same consistency as the Shrimp Baby food, and since variety can be important I started mixing them together and the fish love it. I tried them independently and they love both just as much I just figure the greater the variety the better right? I do a 50/50 mix inside a tiny glass jar I have, I usually make a batch once a month and use a tiny spoon so feed my fish. Thoughts, comments?

IUnknown and NickAu like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 02:50 AM
Planted Member

Great idea on the pill crusher, I use a Pepper grinder.
Teebo likes this.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAu View Post
Great idea on the pill crusher, I use a Pepper grinder.
Not a bad idea either, do you grind it only as needed? Sounds like a great way to keep your food fresher, just grind off a little over the surface as needed like a garnish haha.
NickAu likes this.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 04:25 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
do you grind it only as needed?
Yes I do.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but in effect your grinding and mixing two fairly common commercial dry fish foods to make your own special blend of dry fish food. No frozen food, no fresh foods, or live foods.

I just can't see how that is very much different from someone that always feeds their fish Tetramin flakes. If you ate your favourite meal all the time no matter how good it was you'd get tired of it.

Also, consider that the vast bulk of tropical fish information on feeding have recommend a wide variety of foods for about the last 75 years.

If you really want "... to feed my fish the best food ..." add some decent frozen foods to their diet. If you want to take the further, make your own frozen foods using small amounts of various uncooked shellfish from the seafood counter. To go to the extreme level consider culturing micro worms and/or white worms.

You might be doing ok with what your feeding, but in my opinion you are currently leaving plenty of room for improvement. Your fish will do a lot better too with a better diet. They will thank you for it.
myrrhiam and NickAu like this.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Everybody thinks that because they feed a variety of frozen foods that their fish are healthier and happier. They are also wrong. A staple pellet like NLS is superior to live or frozen foods without question. In nature fish starve and do without proper balance frequently, pellets are better than anything found in the wild.
Teebo and NickAu like this.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:22 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but in effect your grinding and mixing two fairly common commercial dry fish foods to make your own special blend of dry fish food. No frozen food, no fresh foods, or live foods.

I just can't see how that is very much different from someone that always feeds their fish Tetramin flakes. If you ate your favourite meal all the time no matter how good it was you'd get tired of it.

Also, consider that the vast bulk of tropical fish information on feeding have recommend a wide variety of foods for about the last 75 years.

If you really want "... to feed my fish the best food ..." add some decent frozen foods to their diet. If you want to take the further, make your own frozen foods using small amounts of various uncooked shellfish from the seafood counter. To go to the extreme level consider culturing micro worms and/or white worms.

You might be doing ok with what your feeding, but in my opinion you are currently leaving plenty of room for improvement. Your fish will do a lot better too with a better diet. They will thank you for it.
I agree.

I feed my fish a variety of food including fresh live, NLS pellets are a good quality pellet but you cant beat fresh.

I breed Red Cherry Shrimp for my Bettas to hunt, I also breed maggots, mosquito larvae, small earth worms, and even give them live guppy fry, they never eat the same thing 2 feedings in a row, I also prefer to feed 2 smaller portions a day than 1 a day.

When feeding guppy fry I just dump about 12 into the tank and let the girls do the rest.

Same for the big tank, My Clown Loaches love fresh earth worm, fresh killed Red Cherry shrimp, maggots, and zucchini.
DaveK likes this.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I am not doing this for the enjoyment of the fish I am doing it specifically for their health. The wide variety of foods you speak of from the last 75 years well...have you read the ingredient list on NLS? It contains probably the largest variety of foods in a single pellet. Likely all the foods you mentioned in a dried-nutrient dense form.

All my research says frozen food is just junk food, treats, with poor nutritional value. It also points to pellets being the most nutritional, why do you think reef tank keepers feed frozen or flake rather than pellets? Because pellets are the most nutrient dense form of food which spoils their water. I need all the nitrates from food I can get, my tanks run down to 0-nitrate literally 5 days after dosing.

Breeding RCS for your Betta to hunt is a BAD idea unless they are in a separate tank, RCS in a Betta tank is a never ending buffet and they end up dying from overeating. I used to keep them together since I had so many RCS I did not know what to do with them, he never stopped hunting and soon died from it.+

Many of you are overlooking the fact this thread title is NANO FISH, as in...they can literally eat almost nothing but powder...think about this before you make live and frozen food suggestions.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'd be tempted to buy high quality flakes, like those from Cobalt, or Aqua-Pharm micro pellets (if you can find that anywhere). Both have probiotics and also wouldn't require grinding. Or you could order some Golden Pearls, in one of the bigger sizes.
Teebo likes this.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I recently found out about NLS flake food, and was going to try crushing some of that up by hand. I will look into your suggestions, probiotics sound like a plus...I use them myself!
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:42 PM
Planted Member

Like I said NLS is a quality pellet

Quote:
I need all the nitrates from food I can get, my tanks run down to 0-nitrate literally 5 days after dosing.
I dont care about plants, Its the welfare of the fish that comes first.

Quote:
Breeding RCS for your Betta to hunt is a BAD idea unless they are in a separate tank, RCS in a Betta tank is a never ending buffet and they end up dying from overeating. I used to keep them together since I had so many RCS I did not know what to do with them, he never stopped hunting and soon died from it.+
Not quite
All my Bettas have shrimp in the tank and its not a problem. The only thing the Betta in the video is in danger of is being eaten by the shrimp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ2Mmz0ka2A

DaveK likes this.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAu View Post
I dont care about plants, Its the welfare of the fish that comes first.
You realize the best foods make the best fertilizers right....more nutrients in the more out; food that drives nitrates up faster is more nutrient dense.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:39 AM
Planted Member

For those who have never seen a Betta eating live food watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTE2MXbB1bw

I just make sure the live food I feed is healthy and usually gut loaded with Spirulina algae, Next time I feed live guppy fry I will get a video.
johnson18 likes this.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadjon View Post
Everybody thinks that because they feed a variety of frozen foods that their fish are healthier and happier. They are also wrong. A staple pellet like NLS is superior to live or frozen foods without question. In nature fish starve and do without proper balance frequently, pellets are better than anything found in the wild.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebo View Post
I am not doing this for the enjoyment of the fish I am doing it specifically for their health. The wide variety of foods you speak of from the last 75 years well...have you read the ingredient list on NLS? It contains probably the largest variety of foods in a single pellet. Likely all the foods you mentioned in a dried-nutrient dense form.

All my research says frozen food is just junk food, treats, with poor nutritional value. It also points to pellets being the most nutritional, why do you think reef tank keepers feed frozen or flake rather than pellets? Because pellets are the most nutrient dense form of food which spoils their water. I need all the nitrates from food I can get, my tanks run down to 0-nitrate literally 5 days after dosing.

Many of you are overlooking the fact this thread title is NANO FISH, as in...they can literally eat almost nothing but powder...think about this before you make live and frozen food suggestions.
NLS sure gets a lot of hype. I honestly can't see why it's better or worse than any other pellet fish food.

Ok, if you really think pellets alone are the pest possible fish food, please point me to some serious information on this. I'd like to learn. However don't point me to vendor or manufacturer sites, as these are not unbiased sources.

As for SW reef systems, I feed pellets to my reef fairly often. I'm not saying they are a junk food, just that they are not a perfect solution when used alone. SW reef keepers feed other foods for a number of reasons. Some fish just will not touch any dry food no matter how good it is for them. Others need diets best supplied by foods other than pellets. Pellets will not "spoil the water" or cause algae issues in a reef system unless you really overfeed them, but then any food will do that.

As for frozen foods, yes some are of limited value. Frozen brine shrimp comes to mind. Other are excellent. This depends a lot on the individual food.

As for needing nutrients from the fish food or fish droppings, I'd say you need to alter your fert dosing so you don't run out of nutrients so quickly.

On nano fish, just about anything as large or larger than a full grown neon can handle white worms. Just about anything past the fry stage can handle micro worm. Fresh seafood can be cut or ground to any size you like. Even my small tetras and rasboras can easily handle the small pellets. It's not going to hurt anything to grind it all down to fine dust, but it's not needed.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How about you show us a live or frozen food that is as balanced or nutritious as a pellet? It doesn't exist.
Teebo likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode