The Planted Tank Forum banner

Apistos

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Kampo 
#1 ·
Wondering if Id have success with Apistos.

I have a 125g I am working on getting going as my first fully planted tank and I want some Apistos.

My tap water tests about GH 9 KH 5 and pH 7.5
My tank tests run about GH 10 KH 5 and pH 8.0 before addition of CO2....which lately has been bring the pH down to about 7.4

I am unsure why my pH goes up about .5 in the tank but as soon as the CO2 is off it bounces right back to 8.0 so theres something in my water buffering it there.

Anyway.... can I keep Apistos in my water? Current fish are 14 rummynose....about 10 white clouds and 6 sterbae cories

#2 ·
Typically, apistos like the following parameters: soft water with KH 2-15 and pH 5-7. In my experience, with your parameters, I would try Apistogramma Cacatuoides (Cockatoo Cichlid). I am currently maintaining Cockatoo double reds and orange and they are very hardy. My water has gh and kh values of 5 and ph around 7.5.

The following is clipped from Wikipedia about Cockatoo Cichlids: 'Water conditions should be maintained in the pH 6.5-pH 8.0 range. These are one of the few South American Dwarf Cichlids that can tolerate alkaline water.'

#5 ·
Oh yah Im not worried about fish load yet. Right now its filtered by a FX6....plant load is small but increasing over time....got long way to go.

Will for sure add another dozen rummynose.... and I want a school of blue emperor tetras.... anybody got some? lol

I was also going to do some discus....but lately Ive been leaning toward some dwarf neon rainbows instead.... anybody know where I can get them? pm me

I was more concerned about my water parameters for the apistos.....I got my eye on a pair of Apisto Viejita.... anybody keep them?

I wish I knew what in my tank was raising my ph.... I have eco-complete.....and I am starting to suspect it. I read some other people having issues with it.

#6 ·
My only concern is that White Clouds prefer lower temperatures closer to 72 degrees F. which is sort of skirting edge of what your Rummy Noses and Dwarfs would be comfortable with.

IIRC Apisto Borellii: Apistogramma borellii Are found over a wide range of Central and Southern Brazil. They are hardier, with a caveat.

My experience with them is that if get a pair into breeding condition, soon you'll end up with a good dozen or more little mini fiefdoms with half adult fish raising young along side their parents, who are also raising more young. And they are hard to not breed once things are going their way.

It becomes a big mess.

The males are really pretty when full size and all colored up, but the sneaker males and the subadults spawning just ruined it for me. And it's complete and utter Game of Thrones style of territorial battles ongoing. It disrupts any sort of community tank ambience, the dither fish get chased constantly by psycho females guarding their little flock of babies. It's best to consider a dedicated species tank for some Apistos. I had better experiences with Goldeneye Dwarfs Nannacara Anolmala in a community environment.

Nannacara anomala

#8 ·
get a well bred tank strain and you should be fine, there more acclimated to our water. most apistogramma cacatuoides should be fine. another option is apistogramma Borelli. I actually breed my cacatuoides in tap very close to what you have

Bump:

haha this sounds like an amazing tank though lol. planted 40L jungle with the apistos, a couple BN plecos and a nice strain of endlers to act as dithers/live food

if this is a community tank I would avoid pairs all together and just get some males of different species groups (basically tails/colors being totally dis simlar) something like 1 male apisto for every foot of tank length is a good rule

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.