Large fish in a planted aquarium? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Large fish in a planted aquarium?

Wondering what kinds of larger fish varieties some of you may have in your aquarium.
I'm looking for ideas other than angels, gourami or arowana. What else is there?

Current tanks: heavily planted, low tech 75
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:22 PM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ropefish :-D
BettaBettas likes this.

Ropefish playground
- 120x48x60 cm
Nano playground - 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm (working on it!)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How big are you talking? If you mean 5 ish inches you have denison barbs, barbs from the genus dawkinsia, wild swordtails, velifera mollies, botia loaches. I wouldn't keep the barbs or loaches or anything bigger in very carefully manicured plantings though. I bet a big planted tank full of something like x. mayae would be very impressive.
mrswis likes this.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 09:08 PM

I have a bala shark and clown loaches. The bala shark darts too fast and can rip out plants, the loaches seems fine. If I had to do it over again I'd only buy smaller fish.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 09:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Like someone else said, how big of fish are your talking? When you get to really large fish, they can wreak havoc on plants just with their movement.

More medium size are Rainbow fish and Roseline Sharks. You will see them in many planted tanks. They stay in the 4" to 6" range, and are colorful and active.

You also need to consider the habits of the species, as some are known plant eaters. My advice would be to do your research before you commit to anything. Good luck and look forward to seeing what you do.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was just curious if anyone had a planted tank with some large fish. I have a small fish community tank, the largest fish in there are my 2 angels. Just wondering if anyone kept larger fish in their planted tanks.

I totally forgot about ropefish! There are bichrs too. Though I never really see any big ones at the fish stores

Current tanks: heavily planted, low tech 75
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:38 AM
Algae Grower

I have kept large eels - Mastacembelus armatus, Channa Aurantimaculata, C. Stewrtii in planted aquariums. They will tear up the delicate plants, but hardy stem plants and large crypts do fine.

Cheers!!

Preetam
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:12 AM
Planted Member

I've seen some nice bichir planted tanks, always wanted to do a big jungle tank with a pair of bichir. with a sump with a big ole guppy colony. toss a few dozen up to the top tank monthly as a sacrifice to the gods of the jungle tank lol.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:40 AM
Planted Member

Discus comes to mind.

Not the easiest to care for but possible.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:04 PM
Algae Grower

I currently have a Congo Puffer in a planted tank - I left plenty of space for him to bury himself and planted low tech plants around the perimeter. Works out well! He seems happy with the plants too.

Everglade Lagoon: 60gal, heavily planted with CO2 system, EI dosing, and a variety of freshwater fish.
Congo Cove: 40gal, medium planted, low tech, one Congo Puffer (https://www.facebook.com/CongoCove)
The Puddle: 5gal nano, heavily planted, low tech, one male betta
Baby Tank: 10gal, lightly planted, low tech, three snails, Amano and Cherry shrimp, and a ton of Molly fish fry
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Several of the larger cichlids work well with some advance planning. At times, several of us have had discussions of these.
I find the larger fish do have some special points to consider but lots of that can be worked around. One point that stops some is the potential for digging so choosing the correct fish and setting the tank with planning for spots to dig and spots for planted can help a lot.
On fish choice, I do not go with very many of the SA/CA cichlids as they do tend to be more trouble than I like but I find several of the African cichlids work well for me. When choosing the larger, I go with those who are from open water and less with those in the mbuna group. Mbuna, being rock fish, will naturally be found near and around the bottom and rocks. The Protomelas group are large bright colored and open water fish who tend to only go to the bottom rarely and when breeding.
I set my tanks with open spots when I want them to breed and they go there while I keep my plants in other areas and up off the floor. If planning to use mbuna, who will dig under and around the rocks, look at putting the plants up on top of the rocks.
This is my 125 with the largest being a nine inch male Protomela insignus and his females and an assortment of the more peaceful mbuna. I have used Labidocromis of several types, Yellow tail acei, bristlenose and algea eaters.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:05 PM

How about a German Blue Ram. Big enough to catch your eye but doesn't tear out any plants.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Depends entirely on what you mean by large. If you think gourami are large, so that anything that size or bigger qualifies, there are probably hundreds of possibilities. Here's couple: rainbow cichlids (herotilapia multispinosa) or cupid cichlids (biotodoma cupido). Both are relatively peaceful and don't damage plants. Both get about 4-5".
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Shaw View Post
How about a German Blue Ram. Big enough to catch your eye but doesn't tear out any plants.
gbr is only like 2-3"...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode