Be Mad At This - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:11 PM
Algae Grower

It just makes me furious, when I started the hobby there was very little info except the local fish store who needed to sell stuff. Therefore I bought a lot of stuff not a good idea or that worked but they were the only place for 75 to 100 miles then. I had a die off a few years ago and blamed myself( it was my fault, they are my responsibility) so I quit the hobby and kept screensaver fish.

Now slowly getting back into the hobby and plants only for now. So there needs to be some way to stop or weed out false information.
Kyrayne likes this.

A little algae can't be that bad!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

A while back when we still had tv channels in this house, I saw a commercial that showed a child in a wheelchair feeding a pair of goldfish in a one-gallon bowl with an adult nearby. It was obviously supposed to give you warm fuzzies feeling and sympathy, but I forgot what the entire point of the commercial was, I got so angry seeing that. It just reinforced in a huge way the popular misconception that it's ok to keep a goldfish in a bowl.

And yet I did the same thing as a child. I finally figured out that wasn't a good thing (maybe our goldfish burial tree in the yard helped clue us in) but my upgrade was still laughable: a ten-gallon tank with an undergravel filter and five or six feeder goldfish! Haha.

People get upset about things like seeing a dog tied outside in the yard alone all day, but most of them don't think twice about the bad conditions fish are kept in by the ignorant.

I'm super glad I found this site (and others like it) when I started up the hobby again. It's made a world of a difference for me.

10 gal planted- male plakat betta, horned nerite snail, malaysian trumpet snails
38 gal planted- cherry barbs, kuhli loaches, serpae tetra, amano shrimps, oto catfish, nerites, mts
20H "Window Tank"- pair of swordtails, some mts
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That looks like it's from 1978

And yes, advertising is seldom ethical. Advertising laws state that a manufacturer cannot alter the product being sold, but not how its presented. That picture on a cereal box doesn't have milk on it. Its probably a paint glue mix. That model selling makeup is photoshopped to the Nth degree, etc. I learned at a young age not to believe in advertisements without fact checking them first. It's unfortunate that someone would look at the Aquatank box and think they can have such big fish in such a small tank, just because the box shows it. I feel sorry for fish that has happened to. However, I feel just as sorry for folks who believe everything that advertisements try to sell them. They're advertisements! They are biased things that try to make people spend money on an emotional, sometimes even subconscious level.
Don't get me wrong, shame on the Aquatank's manufacturer for allowing that image to hit the shelf. But also, shame on me if I drink their Kool-Aid and believe all they're selling me at face value
quiquik likes this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 06:20 PM
Algae Grower

At least they are Anabantoids and not 3 Discus or Oscars. :-/

I feel the same way about Goldfish in a bowl with a heater or a Betta in a vase with a Water Hyacinth.

Looks Photoshopped (notice the fins are not refracted like the plants at the corner of the tank). I'm sure the graphic designer who designed the packaging has no idea and couldn't care less.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 06:38 PM
Planted Member

Hey, that was my very first fish tank!
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:04 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

We won't clean this thread up again.

If a few of you can't avoid insulting other members, we will ultimately remove you from the forum. There's no excuse for it.

When you see something you don't like or is inappropriate, use the report function.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:45 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nherman2002 View Post
Lets have a nice rant about wrong this picture is.
P.S. Its 3 adult golden goramis in a 1 gallon with no filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think this should be more for a single Beta or maybe like 3 red cherry shrimp. I'm not sure if you could have 3 neon tetras in this ?

Gourami require a lot more space, I would not even put 1 Gourami let alone 3 !!!!
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:48 PM
Algae Grower

The coloration of the fish looks like it's been cut and paste from another photo.

This is truly the Information Age where you can get help along the way. This product as already mentioned is entry level for sure. I don't expect everyone will research before buying. If they did the hobby would fade away. lol

Previously known as Fresh.Salty
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

What? You mean those plastic plants are not enough to keep the fish happy and healthy?

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 06:09 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71 View Post
At least they are Anabantoids and not 3 Discus or Oscars. :-/

I feel the same way about Goldfish in a bowl with a heater or a Betta in a vase with a Water Hyacinth.

Looks Photoshopped (notice the fins are not refracted like the plants at the corner of the tank). I'm sure the graphic designer who designed the packaging has no idea and couldn't care less.
Maybe 3 Arowana, redtail catfish or even Alligator Gar.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 11:47 PM
Algae Grower

I actually think I have this tank. Had it since the early 90's. It has an undergravel filter. Used it briefly for a betta who went into a 5 gallon tank. It is now home to anubias, narrow leaf Java fern a rock and some snals and sits on my kitchen counter. It could possibly house a few cherry shrimp but I haven't tried it. A lot of us had little to no information before the Internet. I have learned so much from this forum.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:56 AM
Algae Grower

It's even worse when they advertise unsuitable tanks for specific fish. Like 10 gallon goldfish starter kits or 1/4 gallon betta cubes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode