Fish survive 5hr move? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By fishman922
  • 1 Post By Mike16T

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So in 6 days I will be driving 4.5-5 hours away to move into the dorms where I will be staying for 4 months while I attend an accelerated Paramedic course.

I don't want to leave my fish behind, though it is an option and my Father could take care of them while I'm away.

My question is can these fish even survive such a move?, with the limited resourced I have used to move them short distances?

Here are a few important considerations:

I have absolutely no money to spare to purchase any new equipment, I am broke.

I have successfully moved my fish 3 Times in the last year and a half.
The equipment I use is;

1 huge culligan tank 18.9 liters
This I fill with water from the aquarium.

1 large Tupperware container 11.3 liters apx 40x28cm and apx 15 cm tall
This is what the fish and snail are transported in with aquarium water.

1 insulated lunch pouch, that almost encapsulates the fish transport Tupperware.

1 huge plastic bin that I place the transport insulated Tupperware in.

1 more huge plastic bin that I place all the aquarium supplies in.

My aquarium is transported mostly drained of water.

Note I do Not have any portable environmental regulation equipment, aerorator, heater, filter. Nor do I have the ability to obtain them.

My aquarium is an 18 Gal.
My Fauna are currently
2 GloFish Tetras
2 Natural Skirt Tetras
1 Neon Tetra
1 Albino Cory
1 Emerald Cory
1 Inca Snail

And numerous unidentified snails that have infested and are Expendable(though I am rather fond of them). These particular snails will be left in the tank during transport.

My Flora consists of
Ananubius
Water Lilly
Aponogonten ulvacious
And a few other plants whose names I have forgotten.
I plan to leave them all in the tank during transport, I am certain most the plants will survive, though I may have to leave more water in than I do during short transports.

What do you all think, are my fish and Inca Snail likely to survive transport of apx 5 hours with no aeroration and heat regulation in a fairly small Tupperware?

Should I run a tube and blow air in manually, which is complicated, humans exhalation is
4% to 5% by volume more carbon dioxide and 4% to 5% by volume less oxygen than was inhaled, which is RA and is only around 21% O2 to begin with, and the continued infusion of exhalation could potentially shift the water ph to an unhealthy level.
That is from what I understand.

Bump: I meant to post on here sooner about this but i have been overwhelmed preparing for this course, re-read my EMT book, getting vaccinations and immunity tests, studying with apps, skimming through an old paramedic book, working, a girl friend that took too much of my time up, and wham here I am 6 days left and barely ready but excited.

Here is the equipment I described

Here are some pics of the aquarium

And here is a link to the photo album
The Planted Tank Forum - Dagon's Album: Atlantis Aquarium

Note I measured the containers and updated my post to the correct specifications

"Water, it's the stuff of life." - Dagon

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-08-2017 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:12 PM
Algae Grower

If you can keep the temp stable and their water volume is large enough during transport they should be okay... But it is a risk. I drive an hour or 2 (depends on traffic) to an LFS to get certain fish and shrimp. The fish have probably been in the bags for a total of 3hrs before and been okay, I have never had one die from the trip. Actually I have never had one die from that LFS period. I know when fish get shipped around they are usually in the bags for a minimum of 12hrs but usually around 24hrs and in large quantities. I would guess that they would be fine. Be sure to leave some air in the container (about 1/4 air in that container would be more than enough I think).
A couple practical tips: Get your car to room temp before leaving, and fast them the day before. You might stop halfway and open their container to refresh the air inside. Feed them when put back into the tank on the other end.
The reason for the fast is that your tetras will poop less and give you less risk of ammonia poisoning.
Clean out your filter before you plug it back in as the bacteria will have died and that alone could cause ammonia poisoning.
Good luck!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:31 PM
X45
Algae Grower

I have moved my fish several times over the years. I've found that a cooler works best for the fish. My last move, 12 years ago, we were delayed moving into our new home so I had to keep the fish in a cooler for almost a week. I did small water changes daily and kept an air stone running. The actual move was about 5 hours. They all survived. Don't feed them just before or during the move.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

90G in progress.< these guys will be moving into a 130G
225G build in the works.
Nono Cube 8Gallon.
20G
"Twin" 30 longs running in series.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You could ask the vet to prescribe some MS222 to sedate the fish during transit.
I would leave them at home, or give them away on craigslist and get new fish when you come back.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Unrelated to your question, but cories do best in groups of 4+ and you'd be best to get 2 more when you can (after your move and subsequent return, it's not that urgent!), or even better, 3 more of each species if your tank can handle it (check aqadvisor or something). The skirt tetras (Glofish and natural) should be OK without more buddies, but the neon would probably appreciate at least 4 or 5 friends as well!

Re: your actual question--Unlike what fishman922 said, I'd put the filter media in an unused pair of pantyhose or unused sock (unwashed as well, and rinsed with tank water before putting the media in) and put it in with the fish. That way the bacteria won't die and you won't have to worry about the possibility of a partial cycle.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would see if fish store would take the fish and just tear down the tank and clean everything for use for when you get back home.
Dorm's here have size limit,no more than 10 gal tank's allowed.(one per dorm room)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:00 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterwald View Post
Re: your actual question--Unlike what fishman922 said, I'd put the filter media in an unused pair of pantyhose or unused sock (unwashed as well, and rinsed with tank water before putting the media in) and put it in with the fish. That way the bacteria won't die and you won't have to worry about the possibility of a partial cycle.
That is a good idea. I didn't think of that. I was thinking about it like a 5hr power outage situation, but even then I would guess that your method would work if you pulled the filter media and put it in the tank. Learn something new everyday! Thanks for the correction!
geisterwald likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Dorm's here have size limit,no more than 10 gal tank's allowed.(one per dorm room)
Oh yeah definitely make sure with management that you *can* keep your fish there.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I wouldn't bother to take them if your dad will care for them while you're gone. 4 months will fly by and you're going to be busy!

On the other hand, I don't think 5 hours is a big deal. I've got fish that we're shipped from Japan. If I was going to move them that distance I'd bag them and put the bags in an ice chest. I've transported a 2 foot fish that way for a medical treatment. 2 hours each way and time there probably 5-6 hours total. I've done 3 hours plus a few times. I've never had an issue. When fish are shipped they are usually bagged up and it takes a lot longer than 6 hours!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Fish are not bagged in plain water for long shipments.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Fish are not bagged in plain water for long shipments.
Yes, but 5 hours isn't a long shipment. I don't see an issue.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:16 PM
Algae Grower

Should be fine. If you can get a battery operated air pump, us it with airstone on the water.
Nordic likes this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies and advice. Sorry I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to reply yet.

So it was suggested on here that I place the filter media in an unused sock or panty hose, are you referring to the activated charcoal filter?
I don't have a bio wheel.

I have both a hang on the back filter and an undergravel filter with 2 tubes(w/filters), so I have 3 filters with activated charcoal.

If I bag the fish instead of using the smaller Tupperware I could bag them in 3 bags each with a filter in sock.

Would bagging them be better than the smaller Tupperware?

If so should I bag them per species?
B1 - Skirt Tetras (4 fish)
B2 - Cories (2 fish)
B3 - Neon and Inca Snail. (1 fish + snail)

Or try to keep the number below 4 per bag?

Also yes I have been considering getting a companion for the neon tetra, but with the potential move coming up I'm not sure the timing is good.

Most of these fish I've had since Spring/Summer of 2015. They are my children.

In 2014 my town home was bought out and I had till end of lease, moved back home and got my aquarium, took it to X girlfriends house, broke up moved to friends house, friends needed space(married couple) so moved back home again, now off to the dorms.
When I finally have a home that I have some gaurentee of not having to move for a few years I will get some more tanks and fill the 70 gallon up and seperate and pair them up with enough of thier own kinds.

Unfortunately that day is nowhere in sight.
Though I plan to find an economically sound but sufficiently spacious housing situation to get me through premed and medschool, at some point after I am licensed and employed as a Paramedic.
Until then they will live out their lives with their current mates, alas they do get along well despite being a rather unconventional family.
Only in times of stress do they get hostile. Though the skirt tetras are playfully aggressive amongst eachother, especially during feeding.

Eventually I'll get a salt water tank too, but that may wait until I finish my fellowship, get hired as a surgeon, and buy a house.

Last edited by Dagon; 01-13-2017 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Clarity, typos, elaboration.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

All Fish and the Inca Snail... And the uninvited guest snails SURVIVED!!!
8D
Thank You All For The Advice!!!
Much Appreciated.

My 2 year old Albino Cory was not faring well after so long in the bag, and I put him in isolation to recover.
He/She is now doing fine swimming with the others now.

Last edited by Dagon; 01-15-2017 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Added pic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode