Ember Tetras in a 55 - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

I'm currently building up a school of Ember tetras in my 75 gallon. Right now I think I'm up to 40. I will probably end up getting around 100

check out my video, you catch a few glimpses of the school in the first part of the video.

I also had a school of around 35 in my 20 gallon long tank a couple years ago

And Pedro Rosa had a very nice school in his "green and grey " scape, around 100 if I remember correctly.

Boostr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampsGrunge View Post
A shrimp breeding colony and a big flock of tetras is asking for the shrimp babies to be munched. You could keep a few shrimp in there as long as the tetras are well fed. But even 50 tetras is pushing it for this tank. moreso if you're going dirted substrate. I'd only stock about 25. Even though embers are small they're active little carnivores.
Oh, I understand that losing a few baby shrimp is always a possibility. Why does the dirt substrate contribute to the limiting of the fish stocking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C10H12N2O View Post
Please post pics when you have your school built, I love embers! A 55 with a big ol' school of them sounds like wet dream (haha see what I did there because fish tanks are wet, I know I'm terrible) for me. Someday...

I have a small school in my super low-tech 20gal and I've caught them spawning several times - it's apparently not hard to get them to do so since I never did anything to try and encourage it!
Mine have never bothered or even acknowledged my shrimp, but every fish is different so you never know. Buuut I would bet that with a large, densely planted tank, you should be fine.

Hope these little tidbits of info helped and I apologize again for the terrible wet dream pun, lol
Congrats on the spawning! Thank you for the pun, I love it!!! I'm all about the horrible puns and dad jokes!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
I'm currently building up a school of Ember tetras in my 75 gallon. Right now I think I'm up to 40. I will probably end up getting around 100

And Pedro Rosa had a very nice school in his "green and grey " scape, around 100 if I remember correctly.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH3XnT4JuPE

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zunXTHGvSLA
I noticed that you were building up a decent size school! I love your tank! Your attention to detail in the set up and maintenance have resulted in an incredible tank! Watching your build on the 75 has got me looking at how to build a new system. The videos of the "green and grey" scape were some I found and watched all of while I was thinking about what to put into this 55! What an awesome tank!
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've got probably 15-18 ember tetras in my 33 long (same footprint as the 55, just not as tall), along with other nano fish, a pair of electric blue rams, and a colony of RCS. Even in my tank with other fish, I think I could easily double that school and not have it look crowded. I think in your tank, with no other fish, 50-100 is very reasonable. They are great little fish! I have no doubt that they (and others) pick off some baby shrimp here and there, but my adult shrimp are out constantly and the embers ignore them.
johnson18 likes this.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 05:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post

Can you tell me what is the plant in that last video, growing up between the vry red one, that looks like green umbrella shape?

10 gal planted- male plakat betta, two nerite snails, malaysian trumpet snails | 38 gal planted- cherry barbs, kuhli loaches, oto catfish, nerites, mts
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

do them 10 at a time like you are planning on and MAKE SURE YOU QUARANTINE THEM. Get them from a reliable source and quarantine each batch. you don't want a bad batch ruining all your stock.

for reference I have 40+ bloodfin tetras (quite a bit larger than embers) in my 75g and I could easily fit 20+ more. I would say you could do about 100 over time.
johnson18 and Opare like this.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09 View Post
Can you tell me what is the plant in that last video, growing up between the vry red one, that looks like green umbrella shape?

Rununculus
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 02:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

Cool, thanks. I'd never seen it before. Too bad sounds like it won't do well w/out C02...

10 gal planted- male plakat betta, two nerite snails, malaysian trumpet snails | 38 gal planted- cherry barbs, kuhli loaches, oto catfish, nerites, mts
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 04:13 AM
Algae Grower

Not to HiJak, but will Ember Tetras get along with Cardinal Tetras?

The Green Stuff
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 04:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Sure, why not. I would make sure to have about a dozen of each though for their sense of security.
As i said before, with many tetras all you need is an extra 10 gal tank to breed your own school.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 10:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09 View Post
Ranunculus inundatus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 03:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
Oh, I understand that losing a few baby shrimp is always a possibility. Why does the dirt substrate contribute to the limiting of the fish stocking?
Well with the Shrimp and the extra bio load of the dirt's organic breakdown products, I feel it would keep your algae levels and Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrates to a minimum. Shrimp really need clean water.

I also like Dutch style stockings of fish, and they'll school in a smaller group, which will allow them to move as a 'unit' around the tank.
johnson18 likes this.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
85 gallon stock tank, "pond"
5g low-tech Java Fern jungle.
2.5g +1.2g satellite stream-clay crypt and Fern tank.
20 GallonH Streamsoil dirt tank
Pendant-hooded, LED A19 bulb lighting.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampsGrunge View Post
Well with the Shrimp and the extra bio load of the dirt's organic breakdown products, I feel it would keep your algae levels and Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrates to a minimum. Shrimp really need clean water.

I also like Dutch style stockings of fish, and they'll school in a smaller group, which will allow them to move as a 'unit' around the tank.

Ok, I see what you mean. My soil is a couple years old at this point. Thankfully I don't seem to get much change in water quality due to it leeching. I'm sure when it was new it contributed greatly to the problem, as well as the explosive plant growth. I didn't keep too many fish in the tank then, just a couple Clown Plecos & ~6 Black Neon Tetras.

While I have to admit I'm not too familiar with the Dutch style, both of stocking and aquascaping(other than it's pretty), I've never been one to heavily stock things. Once the shrimp colony is fully rolling we'll see how large of a school I'm willing to keep. Heavy stock levels require a super close watch on everything. As a full time college student(returning in my 30s) I approach school like a job, during the semester it isn't unusual for me to spend 40-60+ hours per week in the library studying outside of my 18 hours of classes/office hours. Needless to say, I'm not home much & when I am I mostly eat, sleep, & shower. Haha. Doesn't leave much time to constantly monitor my tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 04:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

One of the rules of Dutch scapes is not having schools smaller than 11 or 12 fish, or you incur penalties....
johnson18 likes this.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode