The Planted Tank Forum banner

Female endler death postpartum

4K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  Nordic 
#1 ·
I'm not experienced with livebearers and i've heard that females sometimes die after giving birth but I wanted to double check. After my endler dropped her fry she started wasting away, she got thinner and thinner and ended up dying after 5 days. She was completely fine the two months before hand.

#6 ·
All the eggs are not fertilised at the same time, so there is some variance in fry size. No way you can sex them at 4 weeks.
I think the reason I like breeding the other live bearers is also how long guppy fry take to show good colour. They are the ugly ducklings of the trade.
Also some are just a good throw of the genetics dice. The fast growers can be separated and given preferential treatment to use as future breeders.

#8 ·
Not a problem, they are a good place to learn the ropes.... I have a fresh batch of zebra danio that hatched today... now there is a hard fish to raise.
These are going straight outdoors tomorrow into 100gal tubs. I just can not cater for their complete diet indoors without a very high percentage of defects.
Add to that they are long finned versions, so they are weaker as fry than the normal ones.

If you want to raise the fry optimally, get a little tank for them, a 10 or 15 gal is a nice grow out tank... They grow better without competition for food from adult fish.
Oh, and give them lots of water changes, the better you keep up with that, the faster they will grow. Also make sure to not keep any ordinary guppies in other tanks... you just need one to jump or end up in the wrong tank to totally spoil the purity of your endlers.

#9 ·
Yeah i've bred Danio Kyathit and Rerio and some other egg layers and Danio fry are the biggest pain. I used Crushed tadpole pellets and vinegar eels with mine.

This is my first time trying my hand at livebearers and it's nerve wracking with such expensive fish, i should have started with cheap feeder grades. The fry are only in with the male right now and some cherry shrimp so they don't have a big issue getting food, but once I get some adult pairs im going to setup a side tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.