The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fish Recommendations For A 24gal Cube

595 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Nordic 
#1 ·
Recently set up a planted 24 gallon cube (18x18x18), CO2 injection and Finnex Ray2 light. Long story short...ick outbreak and all my Rummy Nose Tetra were wiped out. After my brief experience with these Tetra...I really didn't like them (no I did not off them!), they darted around a lot, hard to feed...just not fun to either watch or maintain so I don't plan on getting more now that I'm past the plague. I have a betta in the tank who didn't even seem to be effected so he's still there.

So...I want a small school of fish that are relaxing to watch. I was thinking of some harlequin rasbora but have never owned any, any thoughts on these and ease of maintenance? Any other ideas? Also considered 3-5 dwarf pearl gouramis...not sure how they'd do with the betta though.

Also considered more tetras, but different type. Any recommendations?

#2 ·
Uhm...first, I'd quarantine the crap out of that tank. Even the betta. Using the hot water method (82 F) if possible to speed up the entire fallow time (approx. 2-3 weeks). If there's ich in there, then it's just waiting for a sick fish. As for stocking:

Harlequins would do good. I got a school of 10 from Petsmart a few weeks ago, they school quite well and at least try new foods. I wouldn't say they're avid eaters (not like guppies or goldfish), but they do eat. They're definitely calm. I'd also look into other rasbora species and Boraras spp as well.

Do not mix anabantids. It's a bad bad bad idea. Gouramis and bettas do not like each other, and the betta will make it known.

One of the problems with bettas...is that they're picky. Really, the fish that I'd pair with them are rasboras, kuhli or rosy loaches, and warm water corydoras. Most of the other fish out there simply do not like the conditions bettas like (stiller, warm, acidic water).

#4 ·
I have the same tank with Amber Tetra's and I really like them. Harlequins might be a bit too large for that tank, Lambchops would be better. Whiptail cats are cool but they don't move around much.

#5 ·
Now that my tetras are gone, I am indeed going to amp up the heat to 82+, continue nuking it with ick remedy for a week before anything new goes in. This has been a hard lesson, but learn I did...never again! Thanks for the input and suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.