The Planted Tank Forum banner

Worms refusing to die

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Nordic 
#1 ·
Hi people :)

Since probably a year ago I have had worms in four of my spotted hoplo catfish.

I cant find any pictures of anthing looking like them and cant manage to get a good photo unfortunally

They look like this:

They protrude less than a cm and are white/pinkish. They are thicker closer to the anus and seem a bit thin or fuzzy at the end. Unlike Camallanus they arent "feathery" at the end and have no thin parts

I have tried:

Argumore (containing diflubenzyron)
Axilur (containingFenbendazol)

Both are apparently effective against intestant worms but have 0 effect

The fish are eating well and are looking healthy and round.

A strange thing is that its only the 4 males that are infected. the 1 female I have dosent have any thing sticking out, and I thought she would have gotten infected since it started a year ago.

Any ideas? Thanks

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
levamisole hcl works very well. It take 3 treatments a few weeks apart. It doesnt kill the worms, it paralyzes them and the fish passes them. Then you do a full cleaning - 90% tank water. the follow up treatments are to take care of any larva or worms still lurking around ( for camallanus).

I believe its an all around wormer so would probably work on whatever you have also.

Someone who knows more about it will hopefully chime in soon.

Edit - i cant see your picture btw. I've tried Fenbendazol for camallanus and it didnt do anything. Levamisole worked right away.

#6 ·
Just google fish and levamisole, you will find people selling small amounts. You need just shy of half a gram of levamisol HCL (so close you might as well do .5g), a bit less of the pure stuff, in a 55 gal per dose.

#9 ·
No issues with inverts or loaches which are scaleless. You can dose too much which causes problems. You only need 2-5 ppm in the tank.

Crustaceans/ water bugs like daphnia are usually carriers of nematodes. Don't feed wild live foods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#10 ·
Angels Plus.com sell's some deworming fish food's that I have used with good success.
Just need to feed them this food exclusively as direction's indicate.
Two or three different kind's are offered, and I currently have some of their Purple flake which I can feed as is, or mix the flake with a few drops of water to form paste, which I freeze that makes it chunky for larger fish that are used to pellet.
Would not keep it on hand if it did not work for me.
Am in now way affiliated or compensated by the afore mentioned dealer.

#11 ·
Levamisole is now in the tank! Found a medicine called EsHa NDX which is actually Levamisole.

Dropped the water level to 60% so I can save some for later, and dosed according to instrucions (one drop per liter). After an hour or so I noticed the tip of a worm coming out of the female on which I havent seen any signs of worms before. Could just be that I didnt look closely enough though.

Its supposed to work within 24 hours so we will get the results tomorrow.

#13 ·
Do you have more information on this product? like the concentration of levamisole?

Also levamisole tends to lose its effectiveness in liquid form and in light over time. Generally, you turn off your aquarium lights when dosing levamisole. It's better if you can find powdered levamisole and add it to the tank.

#14 ·
The liquid contains 54mg Levamisoli hydrochloridum per 1ml. I dosed 5.5ml according to instructions, so the tank had about 300mg Levamisol in 125L water.

Lights were turned off after about 5hr, maybe this made a difference?

I've been looking for powder form but I only found US stores selling, which wont ship to EU. Maybe its labeled differently in EU? (Like this eSHa-NDX. It dosent advertise it as being Levamisol)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.