The Planted Tank Forum banner

Pygmy cories - most underrated fish or what?

3K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  alcimedes 
#1 ·
Bought 3 pygmy cories today at my LFS - are they the most amazing, underrated fish ever or what?

They're super curious and active, making them a joy to watch. Sometimes they hang out just with one another, sometimes they school with my neon tetras, sometimes they follow my otos around like little puppies following a bigger dog. And I just love how they dart to the surface every once in a while and then dart back down without skipping a beat.

So happy with my purchase! Any other pygmy cories fan here? Any tips or tricks to keep them active and happy?

#2 ·
I love cories. i have 16 of them between two tanks. Mine are salt n pepper but still. Great fish!!

#3 ·
I have about 40 peppered corys, they are adorable.
Mine are the offspring of a female with a dorsal fin that flows over her tail.
The babies have 3 different dorsal fin configurations. The normal fin, about 50%, 40% high fin (I assume single dose of long fin), and 3 babies with fins even longer than the mother's. I hope one is male so I can breed it back to the mom next autumn. The one with the longest fins is very dark too.

I'm strangely not a fan of pygmies.
They are somewhere between a tetra and a catfish, not sure what to make of them.
I suppose they work well in small nano tank.

Bump: I have about 40 peppered corys, they are adorable.
Mine are the offspring of a female with a dorsal fin that flows over her tail.
The babies have 3 different dorsal fin configurations. The normal fin, about 50%, 40% high fin (I assume single dose of long fin), and 3 babies with fins even longer than the mother's. I hope one is male so I can breed it back to the mom next autumn. The one with the longest fins is very dark too.

I'm strangely not a fan of pygmies.
They are somewhere between a tetra and a catfish, not sure what to make of them.
I suppose they work well in small nano tank.

#4 ·
I've had a number of pygmy's, around 15 in total i guess.. they keep dying on me and i don't know why.
But, i keep buying them. I wish i was able to breed them, but they just don't want to...

They are such cute fish, they play "tag" with other fish. And they look like curious little waggling puppy's.

#8 ·
I've had four sterbai cories in my 20g for the past couple of months. They're active little buggers!! Always sifting around the gravel or going up and down the glass, swimming along plant leaves, etc. I have a dwarf gourami in there that's supposed to be the centerpiece fish but I always find myself watching the cories lol. I only feed them flakes though.

#10 ·
I bought 12 of em 3 yrs ago. They only recently started to reach the end of their life span and dwindled down to 3. Just bought 6 more, so they can once again roam together like a posse. I feed them a mix of vegie and tropical wafers.

OTOH, tried my hand with Hastatus once. They died within a week. Wouldn't eat a thing. Tried flake with them too. Next time, I will try some live food when first in tank.

#12 ·
I set up a planted 20L cory tank with Aneus, julii and and a few pygmies. I thought it would need something midwater, but I'm leaving it alone. The aneus are the stars and I think they are trying to take over because fry keep popping up. And there is nothing cuter then cory fry!

#15 ·
I've had Panda corries for years I love these little guys. I found that there happiest when I keep them in a group of 7 or more and feed them a mix of live foods, blood worms, brine shrimp etc, frozen foods, and sinking pellets, they spawn often Ive only had one offspring survive as I don't remove the fry from the tank and the little ones will get sucked up by the adults during there constant foraging for food, they also seem to be happiest when the temp stays around 74 to 75F. They love water changes, and when I move driftwood around they are right in there looking for any thing tasty to eat. They are also a great cleanup crew, when a fish dies in a planted tank its not allays possible to find the diseased, if the fish is small enough the corries and my shrimp make short work of them. fun to watch and useful to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.