The Planted Tank Forum banner

juvenile L128 pleco

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Nordic 
#1 ·
My LFS has two 1" juvenile L128 blue phantom plecos for $33 each. My questions are should I be concerned about the small size of the fish and if I purchase, will I be throwing away $33? I don't have any experience with juvenile plecos...I suppose it wouldn't be any different than other fish right?

My concern that it'll be in hiding all the time, then it'll die somewhere and I won't be able to find it.

Thanks!

#3 ·
Welp, I picked one up on Sunday. It's been a couple days and seems to be much more active already. It was on the back and side glass. Not used to the human traffic yet as it swam away as soon as we got close, but still out none-the-less. A good sign I suppose.

#4 ·
I've kept many plecos over the years including L128. I can't remember off hand if L128 is a wood eating species or not. Most plecos are except the more carnivorous ones like hypancistrus. If would be a safe bet to have driftood in the tank. Many plecos eat driftwood and need it in their diet. It helps with their digestion. Some will die without it. Maylasian driftwood works so does Mopani. Almost any driftwood really as long as it's aquarium safe. I feed all of my plecos Hikari Algae waffers. Except meat eaters they usually like shimp pellets. I've tried other brands of algae waffers with no success. Where ever your pleco is hiding put a small piece near him before lights out. After a couple months start doing it when the first come on. Eventually they'll start coming out during lights on. Only as long as there is nothing agressive in the tank to scare them. If they get picked on they won't come out. I have 3 plecos Vampire L029 Leapord Frog L134 Gold Stripe LDA 01. The vampire is the the same family as the L128. My vampire and gold stripe likes to eat my plants particularly anubias.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.