The Planted Tank Forum banner

King Pleco....Carnivorous?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Nlewis 
#1 ·
My LFS has 3 inch king pleco for $19.98 each. I wanted a "plant safe" pleco for my moderately planted 29. All I have is anubias, lots of driftwood, and some marimo. I was looking for a clown pleco but stumbled across these guys instead. FRon what I researched they are carnivorous. The only other fish in the tank are a pair of angels (roughly the size of my hand) and an assortment of nerite snails. Does th is seem like a good choice? Or should I go with a bristlenose or clown?

#2 ·
That's a terrible choice, sorry.

The last thing you want to mix is a carnivorous sucker fish with fish with large, flat bodies. (angels, discus, silver dollars etc.)

You could probably mix it with smaller bodied fish, but almost positive you'll wake up one morning to find your angels gone if you mix them. Plecos are good at trapping fish up against the glass and then going to town on them.

#5 ·
Thank you guys! So I'm going to skip on the plecos.

What are some other good choices for bottom feeders that I can mix with angels? I really like catfish. I would like a single fish, not so much a large school. Or should I forget about the bottom dwellers and just get another angel?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.