The Planted Tank Forum banner

Looking for ideas for a focal fish

610 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Betta132 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I recently started 55 gallon planted aquarium. I have several gouramis, three rainbow fish, and a few barbs. I am wondering about a focal fish. I really like angels but not sure how many I could get or if they would even do well in the tank. My wife loves the looks of discus. I have never had discus fish so I really know nothing about them or how they would do. Does anyone have any ideas or information on what they like to use as a focal fish?

Thanks
Ed

#3 ·
What kind of gouramis? Most species will fight, all won't do well with angelfish.
You probably need more rainbows, and they're semi-aggressive. In fact, several large, gorgeous rainbowfish would make a good focus, it doesn't necessarily have to be just one fish.
How many barbs, and what kind? Most species will attack other fish if they don't have enough school-mates to focus on.
You do NOT want discus. They are incredibly difficult to keep alive and would be hounded to death by your other fish. They are almost literally the last fish you want if you're new to this.

#5 ·
Cherry barbs are less aggressive, good. You may want to get a few more, they prefer larger schools.
You will absolutely want to remove all of one type of gourami. Either have one dwarf or a group of pearls with more females than males, or you will absolutely run into issues. Gourami don't play nice. You may be able to keep a group of pearls, but keep an eye on how they interact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.