The Planted Tank Forum banner

Bettas: show off their flare!

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  BlackSwan 
#1 ·
Just like Betta personalities. Every Betta's beard is different. Part of the fun of keeping Bettas is seeing them flare. Get your camera and show off their flare!

Buster:

Finn:

See less See more
#2 ·
Is that betta with a Cherry barb?

#3 ·
Both Bettas are in a 6 gallon tank with a small school of Rasboras.

The black Plakat, Buster just got moved to his tank last month. It was touch and go as to whether he would eat them or not. I couldn't catch the Rasboras. His tank is too heavily planted. Luckily, a pecking order was established by the next day (can you say: King Buster?) and now it's as if the Rasboras are invisible.

Finn was an adolescent when he joined his Rasboras last year. He actually ate a Rasbora. He felt sick for two days while I fasted him. He had never eaten one again. He does chase them occasionally for fun. They are not afraid of Finn, they just move out of the way.

The key, I think, is that the Rasboras were there first. Except for the one who got eaten (and I suspect it died and got scavenged), the boys have rarely thought of them as food.

#5 ·
I have some older pics of my bettas flaring. This was one of my first bettas, Flash (yeah, he lived in a bowl). Once I swear he was flaring at the colors in the test tubes!

This was my favorite plakat, Pinkie:

Current betta, Oliver, has more flamboyant style-

#6 ·
I had one Betta in a bowl who flared all the time like Flash. We moved him to a tank and he stopped flaring. We figured out that we must have looked distorted to him, like we were in a fun house mirror. We must have looked scary

Flash and Oliver are gorgeous. I love their color!

#10 ·
Will have to dig up my old flaring photos.. my most flare happy boys know how to move at just the right time to be a blur on my camera >.< I have a flare happy gal who took lessons from my most pro anti photographic male how to be a pain to get in focus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.