The Planted Tank Forum banner

Mystery fry?

768 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  The Big Buddha 
#1 ·
I just set up a 30g dirt, I pulled a bunch of plants from my 90g for it 2 weeks ago. Today I saw A very small fry scooting about the tank. I'm assuming there were eggs somewhere on the plants.
90 is stocked with ottos, cories, SAE, rainbows, CPD, cherry barbs, espei rasbora, and a ton of Cardinal tetras.

Any guesses as to who it might belong too?

#3 ·
Haha, yeah it pretty much could be any of those.

Observe the fish in your 90g and look if any spawning activity is still going on.

If corydoras, look at the tank walls and see if there are any little circles on them (adhesive remnants from the eggs). Corys do like to lay eggs under plant leaves, then again so do many other fish. Corys eggs hatch within a couple days or so and are wigglers (egg sac and can't quite swim all that great, takes a couple days to absorb sac and swim better). Their fry typically stay on the bottom or resting on plant leaves, as they are bottom feeders, though they can swim.

Where as, the fry from the various mid water fish will stay hovering in mid water (or in the safety or shade/cover). So if the fry doesn't lay on the substrate, it's not a cory. And you can pretty easily tell apart a cory fry from the other fish's fry just from the looks of it.

If the 90g had higher flow, then otos might have a higher chance of spawning.

Of the species mentioned though, Corys and CPD seem to breed the most readily.
CPD fry have big ol' eyes (in comparison to their body) that have a iridescent shine (more noticeable than other fish).

But I guess you will find out after the fry gets bigger!

Try to keep it alive now ya hear.

#4 ·
It's still very small. It seems to be very long and slender in shape and a hint of grey. Judging by the swimming patterns, I think it may be CPD, or slim possibility of rainbow due to the shape. I fed some hikari fry food and it seemed eager to eat. The filters both have stainless screens on them because the plan was for a shrimp tank. I had ottos breed once in a neglected tank that had zero maintenance for a couple of months. Lol. Other than that, I have only had live bearers breed successfully.
What I'm trying to figure out is how long it took to hatch since it's been out of the other tank for 2+ weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.