The Planted Tank Forum banner

Bottom Feeder Fish

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  csong30 
#1 ·
What would be good for the bottom for a 10g tank?

Current stock:
1 Honey Gourami
5 Emerald Rasboras
2 Otocinclus Affinis

I was looking into the stone catfish, but I hear they hide a lot and I would rather see the fish in the tank.

#2 ·
Some dwarf corys (pygmy, hastatus or habrosus). You really don't have tank space left for anything larger.

#3 ·
Yeah I figured. I hear pygmy cory are more of a mid swimming fish. Would they feed off the bottom? I'm not trying to get them just for the sole purpose of cleaning the bottom but I just like how they sift through the substrate.

If I did go with some dwarf cory how many can I stock?

#4 ·
How long has the tank been set up/ how densely planted? Otos should really be kept in larger groups.. I'd up them if the tank will allow it.

#5 · (Edited)
6 and yes they feed off the bottom. I would also get one more oto.

#8 ·
They are very small about 1 inch. If you feel that is too much get an apple snail and one more oto instead. Chinese algae eaters get way too large for a 10 gal. I have one that I had for 14 years and he is close to 7 inches. He would tear up a 10 gal. I keep mine in a 75 gal tank and he likes to re-arrange the substrate in that tank.

#10 ·
I have a filter that's rated for a 20 gallon. Looking to upgrade to a canister filter in the near future, but not anytime soon. I do routine 50% weekly water changes. If that's enough to sustain 6 pygmy corydoras I will definitely look into them. As well as add some additional Otos. Definitely didn't realize they needed to be in a bigger group besides I bought the last two in my LFS.

Bump:
Otos feel better, and do better, in larger groups (like 6 or more).. that said with that tank size.. it depends on your filtration and water changes. I'd personally try to do what it took to maintain 6 otos.. for their own sake. You will also see them more then.
Thanks for sharing that information. I didn't realize they needed to be in a bigger group. Is 6 mandatory or would having at least 4 be enough? If there needs to be at least 6 I will definitely look into them more than the pygmy corydoras

#9 ·
Otos feel better, and do better, in larger groups (like 6 or more).. that said with that tank size.. it depends on your filtration and water changes. I'd personally try to do what it took to maintain 6 otos.. for their own sake. You will also see them more then.

#12 ·

These guys!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding. The pygmies will be a great choice...

In my experience bottom dwellers can generally take higher stocking numbers, in nature they occupy the worst strata of water with low oxygen and high dissolved stuff in the water from decaying things on the bottom.

When a tank crashes, you are likely to find only your bettas and corries alive. It is a pattern I have noticed on here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.