The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CPD and red cherry shrimp

20K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  jrh 
#1 ·
For those who have questions about CPD and RCS, I have only had mine about 3 weeks. I started with 9 CPD and 40 RCS. In the time I have had them the CPD have managed to consume all but a few of the RCS, and not just the small ones. Some of the biggest ones were actually the first to go. I cant explain this as what I have read said the large shrimp would not be bothered. As of now I can only spot 1 lone shrimp. I suspect there may be another one or two hiding deep in the plants.

#2 ·
Wow, I am glad you posted this. I have sometimes considered CPD. I have had neons and small rasboras with cherry shrimp, and the fish did not ever bother the big shrimp, but certainly kept down the number of newborns. At the moment, in my tanks with shrimp, I am keeping shrimp only tanks.

#3 ·
Hmm, have you seen corpses of dead adult shrimp? Doubt the CPDs would eat the adults' shell.

Have you seen the CPD attacking the shrimp with your own eyes?

Maybe the shrimp and just real good at hiding?

I have heard of some people having shrimp climb out of the tank.

No chance the filter sucked em up?

Or the shrimp died for some other reason and then were eaten?

It is uncommon, but I never rule out oddities, but still would be nice to cover all the grounds to be more certain that is indeed the case.

#4 ·
I have not seen the CPD attacking them. I can only assume since what was once 40 is now just the 1 that I can actually verify. For the first week the shrimp were moving all over the place, so I see no reason they would get super good at hiding, and I really dont think its possible they could be that good. I saw a few corpses of adults, that were half eaten.

#7 ·
Bummer for you, Steste1122. I put a few in a community tank with some Black Skirts and Serpaes and I watched them be actively hunted. I have this really large Black Skirt, about 3 1/4 inches tip to tail, and I saw her scoop one up and devour it. When I drop Hikari bottom feeder wafers in the tank, she usually grabs one and swims around like a Mursi Tribe member (Lip Disk), until she eats it all. I think any fish will eat a shrimp if said fish can get enough of it in it's mouth to carry it around while chomping it to bite sized pieces. WaterLife made some good points, especially the hiding and the the being sucked up by the intake. Did you look inside your filter? I sent you some cherrys, I believe, and some of them were small enough to to pass into the filter. Then again, they were also small enough to be hors d'oeuvres. Good luck finding them, or not. Have you considered using some ghost shrimp? They get big enough that being eaten is not as likely.

#9 ·
Only fish I have ever kept that would not attack/weaken, and then eat my cherry shrimp especially the tiny babies,,,was Threadfin rainbow's.
They have very tiny mouth's, and though I'm sure they might have eaten a few of the tiny baby shrimp, they could not make a very large dent in the population .
Lot's of places to hide also helps and the Threadfin's seemed to prefer upper region's whereas the shrimp stayed close to the substrate.

#11 ·
Where you sellin all the shrimp?
I gotta trade some off every five or six month's, and seven year's worth of shrimp breeding as you have reported,would be a tank crawling with thousand's?
With that said however, I once kept an electric blue Dempsey that I thought would eat guppy cull's but it was seemingly oblivious to their presence and ignored them completely.

#13 ·
mine LOVED hunting RCS when they got bored.

They much preferred the frozen bloodworms, but I would see little gangs of them team up and attack shrimp on a consistent basis.

I felt it kept my shrimp population in check

#14 ·
CPD's are one of the most interesting fish I've kept but I have to say, taking size into consideration, they are focused little predators. They spawn in my heavily planted 15 column tank almost every morning, and spend every waking minute of the day egg hunting through the plants. You can almost see the concentration on their beautiful, but heartless, little faces! Big fish personality in a tiny package.

#15 ·
This been my experience w/CPD as well. Mine comb through moss and subwassertang looking for goodies.

CPD's are one of the most interesting fish I've kept but I have to say, taking size into consideration, they are focused little predators. They spawn in my heavily planted 15 column tank almost every morning, and spend every waking minute of the day egg hunting through the plants. You can almost see the concentration on their beautiful, but heartless, little faces! Big fish personality in a tiny package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.