The Planted Tank Forum banner

let me see some FLUVAL SPEC V'S

441K views 420 replies 209 participants last post by  chkby2 
#1 · (Edited)
i know theres a spec thread, but so many people are buying the spec v. not alot of info out there on lighting upgrades, filter upgrades either so id like to start one. if you care to play please post a picture of your spec v and info on your tank.

fluval spec v all stock shrimp tank

fluval plant stratum

pennywort, java moss, annubias, dwarf sag, dhg, bacopa, hydrocotyle japan, ludwigia repens, marimo ball.

home to 13 baby crs, and an uncountable number of baby rcs. and 1 zebra snail.

updated 11/23/12

See less See more
#110 ·
Here is mine:

Have only had it for about 2-3 months. At 1.5 months in the stock light switch went out and the replacements are on backorder. Had to get another light so went with a Current Satellight Freshwater LED+.

Currently only have a few shrimp in there but plan to toss in our Beta once the tank balances out a bit more. Having some algae issues since we got the new light and trying to find the right balance without having to result to CO2.

#113 · (Edited)
New Spec V

One week in. Going to try to stick with the stock light, so some research necessary on the plants. Fish are likely to be Ember Tetras and Corydoras habrosus or pygmaeus.
The heater is a 50W Superfish that fists in the filter pump compartment. Let's see if there's enough flow to make it worthwhile.

#114 ·

One week in. Going to try to stick with the stock light, so some research necessary on the plants. Fish are likely to be Ember Tetras and Corydoras habrosus or pygmaeus.
The heater is a 50W Superfish that fists in the filter pump compartment. Let's see if there's enough flow to make it worthwhile.
That's where I have my heater. I found out there is not enough flow in that compartment and the compartment will reach the desired temp before the tank and the heater will shut off.

I solved the problem by using a heater controller and with the temp prob in the filter media compartment.

#115 · (Edited)
Some plants...

Eventually planted up with 2 pots of 1-2-Grow Staurogyne repens, some Echinodorus quadricoststus from another tank, a pot of Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia (3 crowns) and a bunch of Lindernia rotundiflora.

I found the standard LED light looked a little more than a glimmer in daylight hours, so I've hijacked a daylight work lamp. It has tubes in it called a FML-27W lamp. We'll see how it turns out.

[The Ceratopteris and some of the Lindernia is going into a 'vase' sometime soon.]

Attachments

#117 ·
I added extra sponge in front of all intakes and that seems to work. (Granted I'm not trying for a large population, just a steady number.)
As long as you stick with very low light plants you'll be okay. Java fern, mosses, some crypts and ludwigia red are doing well in my tank under the kit lights (I need to do an updated tank shot.)

#120 ·
Wow, these are so nice! Looking forward to the selection of fancy driftwood and plants at the next fish swap so I can get mine photo-ready

#121 · (Edited)
Here is my Spec V with light upgrade. I used two 8K striped LEDS mounted to the original Fluval light fixture and two 6,500K(?) striped LEDS mounting on an aluminum U bar. I had to changed out the power supply on the Fluval light cause I accidental dropped on the wood floor, cant believe it stop working just for that. The original power supply is 5V 500ma. I used what I had, its a cell phone charger 5v and 750ma. I think think it looks brighter and better then before. I have the tank at the office. The pic doesnt do it any justices in showing how bright it is in person

http://s535.photobucket.com/user/killereef/media/IMG_00741_zpsbabd4f07.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

#122 ·
with a sale and a 50$ store credit this tank only cost me 46.00 so i couldn't pass it up.

Substate: Fluorite
Premo GLA Co2 setup 10lb tank (i know way overkill it was originally for my 90g), 75mm atomic diffuser, 1 bubble every 3-4 seconds.
15w great choice heater (flat rubber pad style)

the co2 diffuser and heater all fit in the filter compartment very nicely for a clean look.

the tanks only been setup for a couple weeks now. i have 10 fire red shrimp in there to try and start my own colony. im also waiting for my light upgrade to show up. i ordered a 16" finnex ray 2 ho LED light (not sure if its going to be way overkill or not, opinions?). im not dosing any ferts yet but i might start once the light shows up. so far everything is surviving and growing slowly with the stock light.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.