The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Kent R/O Right vs Equalibrium?
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 12:05 AM
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brugmansia View Post
I am concerned about sodium in whatever product I use to remineralize my R/O water. This is the first heavily planted tank I have set up. I know from a life spent in hortuculture that most plants are sensitive to salt.

Any insights on the various formulas re plant health? The tank, a 90, will be high tec, with a medium fish population eventually. I don't want to buy a big jug of something that turns out to be unuseful.
Hi Brugmansia,

Here is some information on Kent R/O Right:
Quote:
Kent Marine will not disclose anything beyond the MSDS which simply has:

Ingredient Name - (CAS Number) - %
CALCIUM SALTS (10043-52-4) < 0 - 20
CARBONIC SALTS (144-55- < 0 - 20
MAGNESIUM SALTS (7786-30-3) < 0 - 20
SODIUM SALTS (7647-14-5) < 0 - 40
SULFATES (7757-82-6) < 0 - 20

I even emailed tech support, in short their reply:

This is the extent of what I am able to give out except that a major part of the salts in the product is sodium chloride as this is the highest occurring salt found in nature. The specific ingredients are held proprietary. I am not even allowed to see the breakdown formula.
Sodium chloride is just plain salt, not something we typically add to a planted tank.

I use Seachem Equilibrium; here is the information on it:
Quote:
Guaranteed Analysis
Soluble Potassium (K20) 23.0%
Calcium (Ca) 8.06%
Magnesium (Mg) 2.41%
Soluble Iron (Fe) 0.11%
Soluble Manganese (Mn) 0.06%
Derived from: potassium sulfate, calcium sulfate, magnesium sulfate, ferric sulfate, manganese sulfate.

Elemental potassium is present at a concentration of 195,000 ppm (19.5%). Archaic fertilizer laws force us to list potassium in terms of equivalence to a material that is not present (K2O) rather than the more scientifically sound method of simple elemental equivalence.
Please note, no reference to sodium chloride.

Question? Just ask!

Roy
75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XMarineland Doublebright, 2X Marineland 350 Magnum; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0 36"/46W; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED kit; all with Press. CO2; (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome