The Planted Tank Forum banner

Planted Saltwater 20g

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  FisheriesOmen 
#1 ·
I've had this tank for a few months as an upgrade to my 10g reef I had going on. When all the corals started to degrade and eventually die or be given away I decided to take this in a different direction.

This tank is now going to be for Red Mangroves. I was able to get 1 Mangrove at the Frag Swap we had a few weeks ago and so it begins!

Fauna:
-Strombus Maculatus colony
-Cerith Snails
-Mini-Stars
-Bristle Worms (not fireworms)
-MamaMia Worms
-1 Brown Blotch Snail
-Pulsing Xenia
-Red Mangrove
-Chaeto

The goal of this whole thing is to have no filtration on this tank and will go into further detail of what I plan on doing once this gets under way.

If anyone knows of any good tropical Macro Algae (ie. 78F)

All the tiny snails are the Strombus Maculatus.

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks! Glad you're motivated to try something like this :)
These are Red Mangroves and I'm debating if I should go for air roots for all of them or just the 1 I have now.

Builds of Mangrove tanks seem scarce, so hopefully I can shed some light on the subject as my build progresses.

NOTE: If you want Red Mangroves I highly suggest getting them from Bamboo_Dynasty got 15 for only $20. (and they have multiple leaves and healthy roots). PM me and I can give you a link.

#6 ·
Also I should say that, Nutrient Export wise, Mangroves are very in-effective unless they are in large numbers and/or are well aged (about 2-3yrs).

I would suggest 1/gallon of water. In freshwater they might be slightly more effective.

#8 ·
Thanks,
I am getting really into natural biotopes now instead of the usual SPS cluster Fest that people normally do.

I have decided to go with Aratus pisonii and Scylla serrata and maybe Uca pugnax for live stock. Not sure if I'm going to go with any fish as most natural fish are brackish and not pure saltwater.

#11 ·
Sorry for the lack of updates.

But it continues!

The Mangroves were starting to look in pretty bad shape so I asked for help on my local reefing forums and I must've missed how much light baby mangroves actually need. So I quickly went to menards on New Years day and got me a fixture. I also did a large trimming of cheato (it took up over half the tank).

Also I have created a little "Mangrove Rack" to use to keep them straight till they have fully matured. Many of them have lost some roots when pushing them through the holes in the styrofoam.

I have also been recently intrigued in EG filtration and plan on incorporating that into my tank at a later date.

#13 ·
are you going to put in a powerhead as a means of circulation and that's it? i don't think it would work without any flow at all...
looks like a good start.
I remember seeing nice builds with mangroves on nanoreef forums but can't seem to find the threads anymore :(

#16 ·
Ok, so sadly all the mangroves ended up withering away for a reason still unknown to me.
BUT

Here is the layout for attempt #2, which will be a lot cleaner and nicer looking rather than a diatom filled [censored][censored][censored][censored] tank with a ball of chaeto and hap-hazard Mangroves all over the place.

I just ordered tonight a Refugium Starter Kit and some Caulerpa Prolifera from Reefs2Go to start this this again. There will also be a Bluestripe Pipefish pair in here once it is all established.

This will be a THOUSAND times better than the older version. Mangroves will get added later and will give me some time to figure out how to keep it alive :confused:

#17 ·
My new planted saltwater nano tank. It contains two Sexy Shrimp, a couple blue legged hermit crabs, (one of which recently hatched eggs) a small anemone and a couple snails.

Chaeto and a piece of faded Dragon's Breath macro algae act as greens.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.