The Planted Tank Forum banner

DSM HC Clippings Tupperware! *****Week 4 Update

6K views 54 replies 21 participants last post by  mistahoo 
#1 · (Edited)
Today it was time to mow the lawn even though it's almost December and Minnesota is FREEZING! Who said you can't mow the lawn in late November anyways? haha!

>10" x 13" x 2" Platter
View attachment 58056

>Eco-Complete Substrate Added
View attachment 58057

> HC Clippings Added
View attachment 58058

> Close Up
View attachment 58059

> Plastic Wrap Sealed
View attachment 58060

> ZooMed CFL Fixture With Two 13w 6,500K Bulbs
View attachment 58061

>Close Up
View attachment 58062

> Marley Is Curious About What I Am Doing! lol
View attachment 58063

The substrate is over just over 1" deep and I filled the unit to about 1/2'-1/4" under the substrate using tank water.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this DSM setup?

Any comments/suggestions?

See less See more
#31 ·
I haven’t really figured that out. LOL. I started with less penny size amount and just started growing it to preserve it. It came mixed in with some other plants. I have some growing in a little rock scape that only has about an inch of water and I am trying to figure out if I can get it to grow across the rocks and how much humidity that will take. I have some growing in the larger grow out tank and I am trying to figure out if I can grow that without co2. It is in about 8 inches of water. So I guess you could say I am just playing with it right now.

#33 · (Edited)
Update: Week 1

Week 1 Update:

I took the plastic off the for the first time today. To me, it seemed FAR to wet inside. Most of the HC was a dark green almost brown color. Almost looked like it was rotting/dying.

I do not want to be spraying with water daily nor do I want to be opening it up frequently; therefore, I cut 1 slit in each of the 4 corners of the plastic to let some air transfer.

Now I will wait til next week and see what happens.

Thanks for looking...

>Week 1 Picture
View attachment 58533

>Close Up
View attachment 58534

#39 ·
Awesome! Nice work. Give us more details. How long have u been DSMing? If you not gunna use the HC I'd start selling on the ROAK/Sell forums.

#42 ·
Looking good!

A couple of weeks ago I tried growing HC & UG in a DSM 10 gl, only to have everything die off fairly quickly. Spent $30 on the plants too. :(
Anyhow, this has encouraged me to try this kind of set-up and hopefully grow enough to transfer to the tank before filling.

@ player 2: did your driftwood get mouldy at all doing that? When I tried the DSM I put pieces of driftwood in the tank like too, but noticed patches of mouldy looking growth on them so I had to take them out.

#46 ·
No changes, the hole point to this is for me to be able to set it, and leave it. I open this up once a week and keep the tight on timer 12hrs a day. I did poke some holes in the plastic for some air exchange but it still holds plenty of moisture.

this looks great, I want to try this too
Try it, I am posting to show everyone my results and reveal how easy it really is.

Yes ur growth new growth is noticeable. Much less yellow and brown colors and a lot more bright green showing! Good start keep it going!
Thanks, I imagine that the HC will start to cover more of the substrate by the end of the week. At this rate, by week 4 it might be complete. Time will tell...

Thanks for looking everyone. Stay Tuned.

#49 ·
I got x2 13w mini spiral CFL's 6,500k. I'm glad you disagree because I like to hear it's progressing even if I can see it myself. I sprayed it with tank water before covering it up for another entire week.

#52 · (Edited)
Week 5 Update

End Of Week 5

View attachment 61577

View attachment 61585

This DSM is doing as well as expected. If you look at the close up picture you can see the leaves are very small and some a yellowing. I apologize because it is hard to see in the picture. I attribute this partly to lack of water and neglect. I have been opening the tray only once a week and I haven't added any water beside a quick spay when it's been open. This experiment has been fun so far.

If I were to do this DSM over again I would have used dirt and a 10 gallon tank; however, I am not finished and plan to do at least another few weeks.

#53 ·
After 4 more week, the HC never filled in the way I wanted it to so I took all the HC out and added it to a different HC DSM i was doing.

Just filled that tank yesterday.

Experiment closed.

#55 ·
Hmm. I'm doing HC DSM right now. Today would be the 6th day. Mines looks great. Didn't embed the HC. I just placed it on top. At first when I got it, the HC was yellow. It's now green! All I do is remove the plastic wrap for a bit so I can mist it. Then I cover it up again. I poked several holes with a toothpick. I am using a 55w 5,500k and 75w 6,500k bulb over it (only for today). I had it on a window sill that got a moderate amount of sunlight.

Body of water Nature Vegetation Branch Organism

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.