The Planted Tank Forum banner

Sump Down Grade?

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Jim_PA 
#1 ·
My current sump is 55 Gal, it does not leave much room under my stand to work on. My arm fits, but not by much. I have about 3.5 inches of room to get my arm in the sump.

I was thinking I should down grade to 30, that would give me a lot more room to work on it.

Mostly the problems I have are the following

Having to change filter socks once a week, they are 7 inch ones so they last about a week, I have 2 that are on the tank.

Once a month when I clean the pump it a nightmare to get out.

I have to take the sump down for a few days (to fix a baffle)anyway wondering if I should down grade, though not sure it worth it to have to fix my plumbing to fit the 30 so on...

#5 ·
A 33 gallon long will give you more space to work with. Same footprint as a 55 except it is 12" tall instead of 17" tall.
So the problem is already have the 30, wife will kill me for sure if I try to buy 33.

The 30 is 36 1/4 x 12 5/8 x 16 3/4

The 55 is 48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 21

I like having the long tank, but the fact it so tall is a bit of a pain, but maybe at this point I need to just deal with it.

#6 ·
What is the 55 gallon sump under? A huge tank like +150 gallons?

Considering the pita the 55g sump has become, I would swap it with the 30G. sure u lose some water capacity but depending on how you baffle the 30G in comparison to the 55G the diffrenece might now be so great.

#7 ·
If you could check capacity before making this permanent might be a good thing. I have to pull the standpipe out of the overflow box weekly to net out surfing fish and that is another couple of gallons the sump must hold when pumps are off. Running my 40 gallon breeder is only half full. Lucky for me I am using covers on everything and have very little evaporation. It is really annoying having the sump pump sucking air and nagging you to do either dump more water in or do a water change NOW.

I would want to make the change too. The easier it is to do the maintenance the more likely it will get done.

#12 ·
Jim,

IMO (u prolly not lke this) you should custom build your own or order one.

I have built acrylic sumps before to maxime every inch of space under a display tank. If you are placing enough baffles & bracing you can use cell cast acrylic one size less than the suggested thickness for an acrylic aquarium hieght. You can also build one out of glass yourslef. but this all takes time and $$$.

so maybe if you dont what to go through a custom then my other suggestion is going on criagslist/ebay to see if anyone nearby is selling a 40Long 48"x12x16

per aqueon products info thier 40 Long is 48¼ x 12¾ x 167⁄8"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.