The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - My ever-evolving tank (picture heavy)
View Single Post
post #212 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post
Assissins are really pretty. I read that others had horrible experiences with them exploding in numbers too. And then once all the food source (other snails) were gone, the Assins die and when all is said and done, the substrate is littered with snail shells.

I guess the best option for me is to just continue collecting them by hand. Oh well. At least they aren't gross.

I would try the Yoy loach for its beauty, but man I would hate to try and catch them in my jungle of a tank if they did start nipping. I would say that was one positive of the old scape (nearly empty). I could experiement with fish and easily net them if they became a problem. Those days are long gone. No regrets! I love my plants!!!
I have a friend that has assassins that are breeding. I wouldn't call it exploding in numbers though. Assassins are a non-hermaphroditic snail, so it does require a male and a female to breed, plus I think they take longer to mature. I think they're really pretty too. I just wish I could keep a crew of 5 or 6 of them alive in my high CO2 environment. I have tiny ramshorns (not on purpose). I feed sparingly and squash any that I see on the glass. Sometimes I'll collect them by hand if I have the time. I've managed to keep them under control so far but I would like to get rid of them all together so I didn't have to worry about them at all.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome