The Planted Tank Forum banner

Starting up a CO2 setup

3K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  m00se 
#1 · (Edited)
Good morning everyone,

I'm going to set-up a CO2 system very shortly. But as of right now, Google hasn't been too much help. Is there a place where I can find information for all the parts that I need, and perhaps even buy them all at one place?

This will be my first ever CO2 set-up, and I consider myself a rather intelligent person. But I simply am a bit confused on all the pieces and trinkets needed. A link to a place that sells everything would be appreciated. Information on how to set-up, run, and overall operate the system or even tips and tricks/experience would be even more appreciated. Also, do these CO2 kits come with a way to measure co2 output?

I also forgot to ask, I did the math yesterday and going by the directions of Seachem Excel, a single 500ml bottle would last me about 2 months. At 14$ a month, we will say 90$ a year wouldn't simply buying Seachem be a cheaper option? Sure you have to add it daily, but if my math is right you could use Seachem for about two to three years and still have money saved compared to the initial cost of buying a CO2 system. The initial topic above is still the main concern for me, but I was looking at freshwateraquariumplants.com. For the CO2 system that is.

Thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
Good morning everyone,

I'm going to set-up a CO2 system very shortly. But as of right now, Google hasn't been too much help. Is there a place where I can find information for all the parts that I need, and perhaps even buy them all at one place?

This will be my first ever CO2 set-up, and I consider myself a rather intelligent person. But I simply am a bit confused on all the pieces and trinkets needed. A link to a place that sells everything would be appreciated. Information on how to set-up, run, and overall operate the system or even tips and tricks/experience would be even more appreciated.
Thank you.
Check out the sticky at the top of the equipment page, then click on How to build a CO2 regulator.
That's a good place to get an idea of what's needed, then take it from there.

#4 ·
Alright, not sure how I missed that, but thanks!

Though my initial question still remains. Does anyone know a site aside from the one linked where I can get a kit fully assembled? I know it's going to be more expensive, but as long as it's reasonable I don't think I'll mind.

#6 ·
Pressurized or DIY CO2 is not the same as organic carbon being added to the tank. You actually can use both Seachem and a CO2 setup in the same tank.

I have just stated on my CO2 journey.
I got a pressured CO2 setup from GLA.

Orlando is *AMAZING* I highly recommend purchasing a setup from him.
I got the Primo regulator, it has the nicer NV-55 needle valve.
Orlando does this as a labor of love and it shows.

I have already noticed more new growth in the last couple of days than I have in a while of using Seachem Flourish Excel.

#14 ·
Hmmm, that primo CO2 system (http://greenleafaquariums.com/complete-co2-systems/primo-co2-system.html) seems to do the trick.

Now, if I decide to build it my own (as I do have the time and determination) would I save any amount worth the effort? Has anyone actually ordered the parts individually? I figured with shipping the difference wouldn't be that great.

I'm not going the "I want a cheap system" route. I want to quality that will last. Though my wallet will probably punch me in the face, I'll take the blow for a tropical paradise to add to the perfection that is my bonsai trees.

Anyway, tips are appreciated. I want to save money, but at the same time I want quality. Thank you.

#15 ·
I ran the numbers, dollar for dollar GLA is hands down your best bet.
I was going to build my own, but do yourself a favor. Give Orlando a call at GLA. You will immediately want to pay him to build your setup. It is a labor of love for him and it shows. He does a generous 3 day build, the last day, which is most important, is the leak test. It gives you piece of mind when dealing with CO2. With larger tanks or smaller rooms this is *very* important.

He is a very honest and amazing person to deal with. I had some issues getting my CO2 setup going, he was right there on the other end of the phone ready to help me out. Coached me through a few setup hiccups (my fault not his) and I was up and running after a phone call or two.

He really knows his stuff as well, I called requesting some details on his setup and ended the phone call with a semi complete understanding of what I needed and how to get there.

GLA - All the way!

Thanks again Orlando!

#17 ·
Could you provide us with more information about tank? Depending on the size of your tank, you might be better off getting a 5 lb. CO2 tank and supplementing with Excel. If you have a smaller tank, then a smaller CO2 system might be fine, but anything larger than a 29G tank and the cost of the paintball CO2 system gets much more expensive in the long run. Here's a nice regulator and needle valve for cheap on Ebay:

[Ebay Link Removed]

I don't use a solenoid and run my CO2 24/7 without any issues. The only thing you have to do now is price out a CO2 cylinder and get it filled. I just recently bought a nice aluminum CO2 tank for $60 and filled it for $15 at my local beer and wine brewer store.

#19 ·
You can paste the item number from the link but not the entire link.

I don't know where you live OP, but if you have a used restaurant equipment place you can buy CO2 tanks cheap. I have 2 ten lb tanks I paid $25 each. Swap them out at airgas or haun welding supply @$18 per for full ones. There's no need to buy new because these guys will only give you recently tested safe tanks. True they aren't brand new shiny aluminum but who sees them besides you?

#22 ·
build one yourself, good luck.
The second system was around $150 to build, you get a double stage system and all good parts, the metering valve is Parker H3L high precision stainless steel, $450 retail.
The first system cost much more to build but it is a full stainless steel, will last forever.
read oldpunk and darkblade's threads to learn about the basic, then you can put up a system yourself.

#23 ·
BettaTail: I don't see the solenoid in that picture, but that's ok anyway. I was interested in all the parts from where it normally would be (visually here) forward. The metering valve and the bubble counter setup. I have everything running now but the metering valve and bubble counter I have use nipples and I would like to have threaded. Can you advise? Do you sell these things? Can you please be specific (I looked at your thread in your signature and you list several but don't reference them to pix or urls so I don't know one from another). Thanks!!

Edit: I was looking at the second pic, and didn't notice the solenoid on the 1st one. I need the setup from the solenoid forward to the bubble counter to replace my limp ones that I zip tie up to keep them from falling!

Thanks again!

#25 ·
Picture's worth a 1000 words, right? I just snapped this to show you. I just want to get rid of the vinyl hoses between the parts and have it look similar (not SS) to what you have in that first pic. Since I have to replace the needle valve and BC, I may as well get a good set.

Thanks again - if you need more info let me know!

#32 ·
Ok, less insanity here today... ugh... So if I understand you correctly, you have the part that screws into the bottle-side of the valve. That would connect to the output of the solenoid. I would need a short tube threaded on both ends to do that, right? I think I have that! Let me know what you want for it OP.

Thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.