The Planted Tank Forum banner

Which LED light system for 40 breeder?

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  mizzoutank 
#1 ·
making 2 planted 40 breeders. Low tech plants primarily, maybe some xmas moss and red ludwigia (i wont keep if it becomes hard to keep)

Should i go with the finnex ray 2 high output 36" or with the Finnex FugeRay: Ultra Slim LED +Moonlights?

thanks

#4 ·
I have a 40 set up w/dirt. Plants, misc cryps, ludwigia rep., compact swords, some vals, java fern, and some other stuff I cant remember. I put a Ray2 on top and started seening some hair algae. Moved it about 5" up and everything is doing great. No, I dont have rapid growth, just normal healthy growth. The ludwigia have kept their red coloration as well. I also have a Fuge ray on a similarly set up 20 b with the same results. I LOVE these lights.

#11 ·
To the human eye, both are quite bright. You might notice a difference if you had a Ray2 and a Fugeray next to each other, but both provide plenty of light.

Another comparison: the Marineland Double Brights are noticeably dimmer than the FugeRay.

If you have no lid over your 40B, get a FugeRay.

If you do have a lid, get a Ray2.

Both will give you plenty of light, CO2 or not.

#12 ·
Hi there, not to hijack this threas but im also considering this option. could either one of you who has the 40b w/ these leds post a pic please? The speading is what is concerning me because of the depth of these tanks so it feels odd to only need one. Or have 2 fugerays as they are cheaper than the ray2s. that combo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.