The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Help With Tank Balance re: Algae
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
Question Help With Tank Balance re: Algae

Help me understand how to balance my "unbalanced" tank

I have a 10 gallon planted tank, which has some algae happening. As Hair algae is fading, what I think is Blue-green algae is starting up. Right now it seems to like Java Moss exclusively.

I am a firm believer of the idea of an "in balanced" tank, where everything a plant needs is present and matches the others. I have heard components like lighting, fertilization, CO2, water movement. It was after I got lighting to replace a dim T8, two 10 watt Compact Fluorescent lights (CFL), that the Hair algae broke out and was out of control. The new lighting is too bright, and I was running 10 hour photoperiods. So increasing the lighting piece of the pie made my tank out of balance. Now I'm working on a way to raise the lighting so it is less intense.

Besides the lighting, I don't know about fertilizing the tank. I am dosing 4 drops (1/5 teaspoon) of Seachem Flourish Compehensive and I have to go over my math to see if it's right. But really, I'm a noob and I don't know what's going on with the plants vis-a-vis fertilizing. I could really use some help with dosing.

Here's the specs:

Tank started April 18, 2012

10 gallon
Cover: Glass
Lighting: 2x 10w CFL in dome reflectors
Substrate: medium-large gravel 1-1/2 inches deep
Filter: AquaClear 30 on minimum but no biological filtration
Ferts: Seachem Flourish Comprehensive: about 2.5 ml/30g (4 drops eyedropper)
1 unidentified Sword
3 planted Water Sprite
a few Cabomba
1 Water Wisteria
12x Pygmy Chain Sword
Some Java Moss
3 unidentified rooted plants

7x Pristella Tetra

Test Results:

Ammonia, Nitrite = 0
Nitrate= 5
KH= 3 d
GH= 5 d
pH= > 7.6

I really want to learn getting my tank in balance to get rid of the latest culprits, Hair algae and ?Blue-Green algae? Thanks in advance to all responders.

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap
A Silent Cycled Tank

Last edited by Django; 02-28-2013 at 12:27 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome