The Planted Tank Forum banner

My ever-evolving tank (picture heavy)

32K views 279 replies 31 participants last post by  tomfromstlouis 
#1 · (Edited)
I am finally closer to creating just what I have been envisioning for my tank. :) (edit: The tank measures 48" x 17.75" x 24".) It's been in the works for a year! It started with a 30 gallon tank complete with dying plants and sick fish found on craigslist for $30. Of course at the time, I knew nothing about fish and had no idea they were not healthy.
Anyway, it has been quite the journey thus far, and I have learned that fish keeping is not as easy as 1-2-3. No, you can't just drop fish in the tank and throw in some food here and there, topping off the tank as the water evaporates. No, you don't just put all the fish that you liked at the fish store in the tank without running into huge complications because not all fish are compatible! No, you can't cheap out with desk lights or anything similar and expect to have living plants and there is not a species of fish you should buy to replace you cleaning your tank!

Anyway, I am the proud owner of some driftwood! YEAH! So, I have begun the process that will bring my vision to life! Here is what is happening:

I rinsed my dishwasher 4 times in a row then added the driftwood and on the highest setting, let it rinse in the dishwasher 4 times. It's been soaking in a tub since. No tannins! Just needs to sink. I've cleaned all my rocks collected locally this past summer and am now testing them to be sure they are aquarium safe. I have gotten my water chemistry stable, although it is noted the KH needs to be a little higher; working on that. I have posted in the WTB/RAOK thread a list of plants I need for my tank. I am still researching potential inhabitants to replace the Denison Barbs I have, which are currently 5" long. No rush there.

Tonight I added black Echo Complete to just under half of the tank and in 3-4 days I will be doing the same to the middle, then the other half. After that driftwood and rocks :)

Here's a couple pics.
Before:
Plant Water Light Pet supply Organism

After:
Water Plant Vertebrate Pet supply Fish supply

It is a looooong way from finished and the water is a bit cloudy from the 1/2 tank change. None of the plants and wood are in their place. It's just temporary until I get the substrate finished.

I am sooooo excited!

Update: 11/17/12 All the old substrate has been removed, some plants added as well as some Manzanita, rocks, and Mopani dw. Not finished, but close :)

See less See more
#265 ·
Lol I didn't miss it. You must have missed my response post? :hihi: Are you saying that 2 new Angels are Philipine Blues? The breeder is a nice woman...but maybe she is playing everyone up here for fools saying her Angels are Altums? She and her Husband claim to have collected the starting pair on a trip from the wild. They collected several and when they paired off they selected a couple pairs to begin their program.

Oh well...shrug. I still love my cute little blue and her new buddy the said Altum (of course that is not the case...perhaps a hybrid...perhaps a Philipine Blue? just not very blue...)

They can be called "Amandas MuttAngels" :biggrin:

#269 ·
A quick update...the Angels are doing great and the Betta aproves :)

Above the 3 Angels following the Queen Betta. :icon_roll

I love this one :) Betta is not flaring...those are her fins fluttering as the two of them look at eachother as if having a conversation.

Anyway...that's it. I am not feeling too well so I won't be on for a time.

#274 ·
I would not be on here today if it weren't for the fact I recieved a box of plants today. I'm not feeling well at all, but the plants are here and need to be taken care of, so I thought it would be rude not to post the status for the senders sake. Thank you O :)

So, these plants arrived 4 days past the expected arrival date. :mad: Dealing with an etremely rude head manager at the post office while very sick...making multiple trips back and forth to the post office. Trying to get someone to look into why it's not in my hands...and finally I get my package. Smashed, partially opened and soaking wet!!!!

Doesn't look good does it!? Expecting the worst...I take the package home and lay down to rest for a minute. I really am very sick. Ugh....:icon_redf

Sooooo...to be continued.

#275 ·
I can not believe the condition of these marvelous plants! Wow!!!! :icon_eek: Amazing that they look so good! OVT, you do an incredible job with your plants! That is all there is to it! You definetely have a nack for growing super plants!!!!

Thank you :)

Here they are:

2nd batch

3rd times a charm for this beauty! It made it without melting :)

I am still in disbelief they look this good! Post Office may have failed me, but the incredible under water green thumb OVT certainly did not! Your amazing OVT! Thank you thank you thank you!!! :) Thank you! :)

#277 ·
Get well first ... :( but thank you so much for posting the pictures.

Interesting: 7 days from CA to AK, in sub-zero and couple of plants don't look too happy to me, but the rest...

I did use a bit of black magic: the girls at PetSmart let me use their O2 (? whatever gas they add to a bag with fish). I added just a tiny bit of it to individual bags but as much as I could keep inside to the bigger bags. Or maybe having the girls help me out after hours did the trick. Never underestimate the power of the feminine touch :) Having friends in the right places does not hurt either :cool:

#278 ·
Cool new plants- they look good even for such a journey. The post office can be a nightmare-I once had a kordon breather bag break and water was leaking out of the box, they wouldn't deliver it and made me come in and open it in front of them. Then they scolded me for packing them poorly, even though these fish were packaged by the aquabid seller who sent them! I just got some S. repens as well recently-it could easily become my new favorite plant.
-Get well soon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.