The Planted Tank Forum banner

MTS vs Aquasoil

5K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  summerboy1958 
#1 ·
Hi, I was wondering how MTS and Aquasoil compare, both in a planted tank, and in an emersed set-up. I honestly don't know much about MTS as I have never used it before, but I am very interested. What are the differences between the two? What are the pros and cons of each? What's your opinion from your experience? I know money is a factor for both, but that's not really what I'm asking about. Any input is much appreciated, thanks! :smile:

#2 ·
MTS vs. Aquasoil

The only PRO of Aquasoil I'll comment on is you can ode red it online from a dozen or so site and have it on your door step in a few days.

I have never used it so I'll stop there.

MTS - THAT I know about. :icon_mrgr

To the #1 reason to use it, in Nature plants grow in dirt.

You can "build" to suit your specific needs, it will last for years. You don't need to put any type of Root Caps in it. Just plant and enjoy. Natural dirt will have enzymes, micro nutrients, trace elements that you are just not going to find in a bag of anything from a factory. even if you are going to buy some from a dirt 'chef' it still should her less expensive. The best way of course is to make your own. That does require space to dry it. But , if you can find the space it really is easier than log-in to the get to this site.

#3 ·
How does the MTS slurry stay at the bottom of the tank? I would think that the slurry consistency of the MTS would get stirred all over the tank because of the water current. If I cap the MTS with AquaSoil, would it remain at the bottom of the tank? I know I have to be careful not to disturb it when doing water changes. Does it easily get blown around or does it settle down easily?

#5 ·
Many of us use a 1-1.5" Sand Cap over 2-2.5" of MTS.

When planting or removing turn off all water movement equipment. Use tweezers to plant pulling the roots into the substrate. To remove slowly and gently wiggle the plant free.

I get very little MTS pulled into the tank like this. If left to settle before turning water movement devices, dirt will settle back through the sand to the bottom of the tank. Larger pc of Dirt of source can be syphoned out.

#9 ·
i USED to have MTS in my big tank. I have AS now.

MTS: i found that the mts was a pain when removing and moving plants. it always puffed up dirt when doing so and then it would settle down on top of my cap and stay there. No matter how careful i was pulling up the stem.

I experienced an algae bloom with the mts, and fought SUPER HIGH nitrate levels from day one with the mts. Im talking: after sunday 50% WC the Nitrate would read 40 by the next sunday it was 100+. I cant say for certian the mts was the blame......BUT after i redid my tank with AS i no longer have that issue.

The upside. My plants grew like crazy!

The AS: Doesnt have to be capped. I love the looks of it. You can form mounds with it. Plants love it as well.

the downside. The initial ammonia spike. Although mine was only 1 week long and i had to do only 2 WC's. BUT the ammonia instantly starts the cycling proccess. Thats a bonus.

I LOVE AS!

#13 ·
Cost is the main trade off.

I will correct some folks : aqua soil is in fact dirt, soil and the same stuff you would fine in a rice paddy.........nice clay loam, it's been slightly processed(MTS is for that matter when we process it for use)

From there if you uproot and rescape and do not like layers mixing together, well.............or do not like caps of sand.........then ADA AS is the clear winner.

I do not think the plants care, but for use and for the look and mistakes we make, ADA AS is likely a better choice, but it's not that cheap either, but....over the time frame, say 8 years on my 180 gal...........

It's still doing very nice and I keep using it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3VNwfNtNA0

#15 ·
Didn't you start the tank in early 2008 or late 2007 at best?
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59705
So it's about 5 years old, not 8. Impressive service life nonetheless.

Dude it's 2016, catch up with the times, jeez!

On a serious note, anyone have experience with humus, humic/fluvic acids, or EHS? I know all this is unecessary and expensive, and that I should probably just go with aquasoil, or MTS and stick with that, but I just like toying around with these ideas in my head, as I'm sure many of you do as well. And it doesn't help that I have a few empty tanks lying around lol.... :help:

#17 ·
I've used both. I will never use AS again. If you have a full foreground, and aren't looking to keep a sand cap sparkling clean as it will all be covered up by plants anyhow, than MTS is as good as AS, if not better. And with Frank's "Batch II," it can be way better than AS, in terms of growth, health, and color. I got nice results from AS, too, but it is pricey, and if you don't like the dark color, you will have to cap it anyhow.

#18 ·
Heres my $.02 worth: MTS isn't a defined product. We can use ordinary dirt, which can vary greatly from location to location. We can add varying amounts of clay from none to lots. We can add potash and dolomite, or not add it. We can use manufactured "topsoil" or nature's topsoil, or other soil. We can do a thorough job of mineralizing it, or a half way job. The result can still be called MTS.

ADA Aquasoil may not be 100% standardized either, but I would bet that it is much more standard than MTS.

I don't think that is an argument for or against either one, but it is a difference. If I could afford it I would use Aquasoil. I can't, so I have used MTS, made from more than one source of soil. To me the low price, near zero $, is the primary virtue of MTS.

#20 ·
Moss, buces, ferns will get all their nutrients from fish waste, while all your root plant should get all their nutrients from MTS.

Think... Think... Think...

top soil is cheap to buy, MTS is easy to make... Since you have so many tank laying around... POP one OPEN and MTS that TANK. TEST DRIVE THAT THING...

Any more QUESTION SIR?

#26 ·
Here's an example of the color that I got on my Hygro corymbosa within two weeks of planting it into Frank's Batch II:

I never got that type of coloration before using AS, and I've used it in the same set up a few years ago. Frank's stuff works well!

Trail Mix--I got the last batch before he went underground. Rumor is that he's working on a formulation for Batch III, but he's a bit crazy. I don't know his name. Unless you are friends with him, he prefers to work anonymously. I was able to obtain several boxes of his MTS through a contact. But, I've been told (so I don't know this first-hand) that he is one of those "so smart he's almost crazy" types.

If you can get your hands on some, his MTS is the way to go. It could be challenging to track him down....not sure he likes to be contacted.

#27 ·
Haha, that's awesome, it's like one of those urban legends! Sounds like he's the "mad scientist" type, I would love to get some of his stuff, but tracking him down sounds like a loooong process lol.

Thanks for the info, and your hygro looks great by the way, so jealous!

#28 ·
Wait a minute... I think I might know who he is!! Or atleast I think I know somebody who knows him, they said he was hard to track to and works on all these inovative techniques for fish keeping... never mentioned anything about MTS, but from their description, it must be the same Frank!

#34 ·
I want to use MTS in my next 20 high. I learned about boiling a topsoil/clay mix rather than the wet/dry cycle. Anyone else try that?

I'm planning shrimp, scarlet badis and small rasboras with wood and a lot of plants. I know this group likes soft water on the low side of neutral pH. My water is anything but that. Is there any mix of MTS that will help? Or is that just a dream?

Sorry to highjack the post!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.