The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Fluval G6 - Stay Away
View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
Sorry for the delay, I forgot to subscribe to this post.

My Unorganized Thoughts on the G6

The cost of the mechanical filtration is ~$25. This is expensive but it is positioned as reusable and highly cleanable. (Like most other sponge mechanical media.)

There are two options for mech. Micron or "Regular" I have tried both. Obviously the micro will clog sooner.

That said, when I initially setup the filter it was great. Flow was great, performance was great. (I upgraded from a 405 and had a noticeable improvement.)

After running this for a year with it unable to keep up with my planted tank I decided to give up on the filter and move it to my FOWLR Cichlid tank. 1 week in and have had no issues with clogging.

Improvements on G series compared to previous Fluval models:
- Smooth Tubing
- Opaque Tubing
- "Easy Maintenance" - You can just remove the mech and clean it. (Too bad this had to be done every other day or else flow would drop to almost zero.
- "Lots" of bio media space
- VERY quiet

Cons for the G6 series
- Expensive Media
- Every other day cleaning on planted tanks
- 1 Gallon of Media in a HUGE canister. (Eheim 2217 have 1.6 gallons of media in a smaller form factor)
- Introduces a lot of air bubbles into the tank. (This is due to the negative pressure in the canister as it begins to clog.)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome