Yeah. Um. I don't really know that your light is too high. String algae can come in with plants you buy and will grow even a balanced tank. If it's the only algae you have you probably don't have too much light, that would cause all kinds of algae. I would just try removing or killing it. Aparently you can put some hydrogen peroxide on it to kill it too. Too little light is not good either. I think 8 hours is a good minimum amount of time for plants to be lit. If you did need to reduce the light can you move the light up higher above the tank? If not, I would cover about ten percent of the bulb with some tape to reduce the intensity rather than the photoperiod.
Last edited by Gold Finger; 11-14-2012 at 07:05 PM.