The Planted Tank Forum banner

soap bubbles?

834 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  flesxruoyxllik 
#1 ·
ive been home alone all day, havent touched the tank at all today only took a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pItII-2j6d0).

ive kept my hands out of the tank all day. yesterday i added 30 feeder fish, and didnt notice any bubbles. but i see some bubbles building up on the surface behind the ugf tube that uses an air hose the other one uses a tiny power head. i dont see any rainbow effect in them. i am going to remove the bubbles and see if they return. ill post again in half an hour.

seachem should make a soap detoxifiying solution if thats possible.

#2 ·
Do you really think it is soap?
The other (major) problem is ammonia. Adding that many fish will add a lot of ammonia to the water, and it can make the water foamy with bubbles that do not pop, just like soap bubbles. Test for ammonia.

I would do a big water change, either way. Soap or ammonia are both toxic to fish.

Add activated carbon to the filter. I do not know if it helps with soap, though.

#3 ·
i took some paper towels and dabbed up the bubbles they dont look like they are coming back. i watched a bunch of the fish get eaten within an hour. and this morning there are only 6 left (f-ing pig). i dont have an ammoina test or a car rite now so tomorrow i will pick 1 up. maybe lfs put something in the bag of fish? or maybe my net touched some soap in the sink when i was taking feeder fish out of the bag, i dont just pour the whole bag of water in the tank. i need to move my bull frogs so i can get my feeder tank back, then i can add just 4-5 every few days.

#5 ·
just woke up in time to watch the car pull out the drive way, and the bubbles are back twice a much now.

#6 ·
just tested for ammonia came up zero, but i decided to add ammolock anyways incase it was a false reading. dabbed up the suds. got to go mow the lawn hopefully they wont be back when im done.

#8 ·
just got done mowing (got it stuck) and i had a little gas spill on my hands so i dont want to do a water change right now is it ok to wait till thursday which is when i usually do a 50 %

#10 ·
did a 50% water change about 4 hours ago, and no bubbles! it looks like it was just protein build up on the water surface. i dont think ill be adding 30 feeders any more, maybe just 20. need to slow down on goldfish and feed more to minnows too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.