Issues I'm having and solutions I'm considering
T5HO dual bulb on 8 hrs/day (I use a layer of window screen to lower the light intensity)
Regular fert dosing
30 - 50% WC every week
My tank has been doing okay, however I've been having BBA creeping up and now I have wendtii leaves melting like crazy. At one point I had decided to do injected CO2, but the first set up I purchased wasn't quite right so I returned it, then I got busy at work and wasn't able to move forward with that plan, and then got honest with myself and decided I really don't want to do a high-tech set up.
Over the months, I have tried experiments one at a time like decreasing the photoperiod, removing the light diffusing screen, raising the lights, increasing nitrates, etc, etc, and haven't come up with a solution that truly creates a worry free tank. I got to the point where I started worrying about the plants more than the fish, and that wasn't the reason that I got into this hobby.
So here's where I'm at with the options I'm considering. I ranked them from most likely to least likely to solve my problem:
1. Get rid of the plants altogether and purchase fake plants. I know this doesn't remove the opportunity for algae, but I would bet there are specific ways that I can deal with algae in a plant free tank (like black-outs, etc). I really pray to God that there are some attractive fake plants out there that look better than the ones I see in the LFS stores.
2. Purchase a lower intensity light set up. This would cost money as lights aren't cheap. I spent $130 on this light set up at the suggestion of the person who sold me the tank, and it's probably the worst decision I made in this whole hobby. It's just too much light, and my attempts to lower the light by raising the fixture (which is problematic) or diffuse the light with a layer window screen have proved ineffective.
3. Rescape with new plants, but I know that this would be a losing battle because I need to deal with the algae not the plants.