The Planted Tank Forum banner

Question about setting up Co2 regulator

4K views 39 replies 4 participants last post by  Darkblade48 
#1 ·
Hello -

I am finally setting up a pressurized CO2 system after staring at a new empty intimidating CO2 tank for 5 years. I bought a nice regulator from Green Leaf Aquariums and it seems I misread the instructions on setting the low pressure gauge. It said to turn it to 10 and I did but afterward I realized it was not the 10 at the end of the dial, it was 10 psi on the inside dial - a much lower setting. Now I have no idea how to bring it back down. I have tried loosening the handle, shutting everything off and starting over - it is still dialed up all the way. Any advise for this dumb blonde?

Thanks!

#27 ·
I took the top off the bubble counter and it is all clear. Not sure how to check the check value at the bottom of it. The reason I decided to spend $375 on this regulator is because I didn't want the challenge of having to buy everything separately and put it together myself. Not thinking I got my money's worth now. LOL.

#28 ·
Is the bubble counter bubbling when you turn the co2 on? If it is then connect just the hose and put the hose end in the water if you get bubbles out of hose then all is well. Then connect the diffuser to it and wait 30-60 minutes for it to start working if still nothing you got a bad diffuser or it needs extremely high working pressure which is sketchy past 50psi. That is all it can be you have isolated everything else.

#29 ·
Also if you have an inline check valve after the bubble counter try it without that installed that could be faulty.

1. Just bubble counter connected you get bubbles-The bubble counter is good.

2. Connect hose put open end in water if you get bubbles-hose is good and not clogged.

3. Connect check valve on just one end put other end in the water if you get bubbles- check valve is good.

4. Connect diffuser put in the water if no bubbles after an hour then the diffuser is bad or needs too much psi to operate.

5. This is the process of elimination.

#35 ·
My apologies, I only skimmed through the last page.

If your regulator is set at 30 PSI delivery pressure (and assuming your needle valve is open wide), and your tubing is only bubbling very slowly into the aquarium, I would look for a leak. Even at 10 PSI, my tubing will bubble very quickly.

#37 ·
Here is an update on my CO2 woes: I still cannot figure out how to make this thing work. I used dish soap and found a leak at the top of the bubble counter. I took off the top and screwed it back on and it seems to have fixed it. I still have the pressure at 30, there are bubbles coming out of the tube at about 1 per second (the bubble counter is currently set at 3 per second until I get this thing working). but still nothing will come out of a diffuser and I tried two different types. I am completely clueless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.