The Planted Tank Forum banner

Where do you get rocks?

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  jerrytheplater 
#1 ·
Aside from landscaping and garden centers, where do you go? I've been on the lookout for a long time. Why is it so hard to find "textured" stones like the ADA rocks? I know NJ has a vas amount of granite, sandstone and limestone but every piece I find near a river or at a landscaping center is rounded smooth or lacking that natural look ?Does anyone know what I'm talking about ?lol Thanks for reading :)

#4 ·
Considering I grew up in the same county, have you ever thought about hiking up in the Ramapo Mountains? - Ringwood has some really nice rocks that you can find up on and off the trails... There are some areas where the rivers\streams go over the rocks and you can get what you are looking for.

However they do have those lichen (spelling/green type of things growing on the rocks) - so you will need to scrub it off with a steel brush or something like that) and treat it. (Make sure you do all your checks to make sure it doesn't change your PH)

If you go along rivers, they will be round and polished almost. Streams are always fun, but I prefer trails (rocks seems to be a little more what you are looking for)

#5 ·
Thanks ! Yeah I live in Clifton, so that's not far for me. The ADA rocks have grooves, and a rough texture like Seiryu stone or Ryuoh stone http:// www.thegreenmachineonline.com/products/aquatics/d%C3%A9cor-materials/ada-seiryu-stone/ada-seiryu-stone-kg

I did some research and most of these are a type of limestone or sandstone, which do affect water chemistry, but correct me if I'm wrong shouldn't be an issue if you change your water once a week like you should in our hobby ?

Thanks for listening :)

#6 · (Edited)
I agree that hiking is one source. But remember they are heavy and will be a pain to carry out.

Drive around in lake communities in the Highlands region (Fayson Lakes, Kinnelon, Montville, Ringwood..) and look at the rock walls around the homes of people. Try knocking on the door and explain why you would like to take a rock from their wall. Maybe even bring a few photo's of planted tanks to show them what you are trying to do. This only works if they haven't purchased the rocks to make the wall. You can also try bringing some rocks and just trade for it.

I have found many flat rocks in my own yard while digging up my garden. I've saved them over the years. I have rocks that have visible iron staining in them and use them in my tanks without any problem. I figure the plants may be able to use that iron. Lots of iron in the Highlands. I took some rocks from the blasted area near the Walmart in Riverdale on Rt 23 N. They really did have a huge amount of iron and I didn't end up using them.

Here are some of them:

My 65 gallon Tanganyikan tank thread is in great need up updating, but you can see some of the rocks I've dug up and collected in Northern NJ. This tank just went 6 days without power and I am left with only one Tanganicodus irsacae and a pair of Julidochromis regani and one Synodontis upside down cat. I removed about half of the rocks to look for the dead fish and have not returned them yet. The tank is pearling like it is CO2 enriched. I did change a PC light that burned out with the power failure.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=117606

Don't worry about the use of limestone rocks in your tank. Your water changes will prevent a huge build up of Ca hardness. NJ limestone is mostly dolomitic limestone by the way, especially the limestone found in the Ridge and Valley Provence cut by Rt 80 west of Allamuchy. You will drive by some really nice cuts and see some good rocks-but how to get them. Exit and see if you can find rock walls again and ask.

#7 ·
Here is a YouTube video I just took of a 38 gallon aquarium I have in my home for Lake Tanganyikan Cichlids. I have a few token Cryptocoryne Florida Sunset in the corner that sees some sunlight.

This video is to show you some of the rocks I am currently using in my aquariums.

http://youtu.be/_814VU2DlDg

#8 ·
when you say red lava rocks at home depot.. do you mean bbq rocks?
(thinking)
2 how can i find SMALL rocks... all i have out here in western NJ is big one's i have a 2 gallon tank! i need TINY rocks!!!!!

(oh, and from areas without snakes ...eeeeekkk!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.