The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Is anyone an instructor/admin at a college or university?
View Single Post
post #37 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Algae Grower
Originally Posted by Silmarwen View Post
The internet got me where I am as far as my HTML/CSS skillz go. I started in on PHP, but I had no application for it. I find myself incredibly frustrated learning things when I don't have an actual problem to solve with it. CSS came easily when I needed to style a single-page web profile without frames (this was a while ago, when frames were actually, you know, used), but I haven't been able to find an application for PHP, so I can't go beyond linking web pages with it.

As for programming, a high-school C++ class taught me everything I know, and I've since been told "That crap is useless, learn [insert their language of choice here]." But again, I have no real application for it, so... I'm not imaginative, and I hate those little "challenges" because they're good practice, but not actually useful for anything.

I know I sound like I'm just making excuses (partially because I am, to an extent), but I just don't have much motivation for anything lately.
I was always told that, upon entering college, either have a good idea of what you enjoy and want to do for the rest of your career and go for that, or if you don't know, get a degree that is in high demand (health related/comp sci/engineering) and fund your eventual fun stuff with the resulting job.

Most anthropology majors I knew stayed in academia, either in the same field or using their bachelors as a way to get into graduate school in a different field. Or got jobs unrelated (waitress/etc.). XD

Could you take a programming class or two at your uni? Or maybe fiddle around in designing simple app games using free software on your own? I know many game companies have hired modders or map creaters without necessarily much or any university experience in development.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome