The Planted Tank Forum banner

Swap Meet on Sunday 11/11/12

23K views 444 replies 32 participants last post by  acitydweller 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Theme for this meet: Ferts!

Met at LES and walking to the 5 LFS in the area.

More photos here http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.125229287631979&type=1

Start point at Pacific Aquarium on Delancy @ 2:30pm

Pacific aquarium, 123 aquarium, 38 aquarium, Win tropical and Aquastar on the tour route. We are still looking for indoor options on where to swap.

At this meet, the theme will be dosing. Anyone who's able to help put together sample packets to share great. Due to the short time and the other tours of late, i'm not sure if i can order and pack all this stuff to distribute as i had in the past for the clay and floaters so i'd ask if some of the other forum members can help out here or step up to help.

Been thinking of holding a raffle for a prize. Maybe we can sell tickets for $.25 - $3 depending on the value of the prize and number of people attending. drawing to be conducted by a random stranger passer by out of a hat or bag. Any interest, please speak up. could be anything like a bottle of prime, ferts, or anything people may want to contribute.

As always, the invitation is extended to everyone who has expertise or interest in the hobby or just like pretty fishes and shrimp. Murderers and hooligans need not apply.

See less See more
#164 ·
I can't get anywhere near Flushing as I'm in southern Brooklyn. A part of me also doubts that LES would be functioning well next week. They're just going to get power this weekend and they'll need the rest of the week to recover, salvage, and repair. The whole place may be barren as they wait to restock.

Perhaps even pushing it even further, such as to the 18th, would be better? Or is that way too late?

*Or I'll just wait till the next meet :p

#165 · (Edited)
Honestly, LES is a long way from bouncing back to its former glory.

I encourage everyone to voice their thoughts and concerns as many of us rely on public transportation for these meets. Someone can propose a location in Brooklyn for consideration otherwise, we can meet at Bryant Park. If the weather is beyond cold, there's the public library. Hopefully by then, the 7 train will be running along with other lines extending into brooklyn.

On a separate topic. i have a large amount of floaters namely salvinia and frogbit. I dont have enough containers to store before the meet so if there are no takers, its going in the bin.

#177 ·
Pardon me I know I am very late to this thread. I finally read everything and I didn't at first because I didn't really expect being able to make it to these meets. My schedule is hectic lately but after reading this I want to try to make it.

As to the topic of the meeting, I have been using EI ferts and PPS pro for a few years now. I am not using a different method where it is a hybrid inbetween both where I no longer need to do water changes. I haven't changed the water all year. I would love to discuss some of my findings if you let me.

@Fuze, use a digital bathroom scale and weigh yourself before and after holding the ferts. It works for me. I have a milligram scale but I don't think it would work for lbs. but it will work if you need to scale out for PPS.

@congee, please do bring some green water with you. If you don't mind I would like a sample and I wanted to see under a microscope to what species you have. I want to see what native single cell algae NY has. Also I can lend you my UV sterilizer. Its moded so you don't need to attach it to your filter. Its a hang on UV unit.

I have microworms if anyone needs. I can give out a few starters. Only catch is that in case if I lose my culture in the future, I may need your sub culture. lol

I have these to trade,

Pogostemon stellatus
Cabomba furcata
Eichhornia diversifolia
Limnophila aromatica
Start cultures of
vinegar eels
daphnia moina
grindal worms

I am looking for scuds/gammarus specifically the one that grows 1/2" or larger.
walter worms
banana worms
briggs/mystery snails
tonias or any red plants
And of course, I'll pay if I don't have the things you like to trade for.

Hope to meet you guys in person

#184 · (Edited)
Yeah. I have been working out different combinations of dosage levels for my tank. So far its working out fine and I don't have to hurt my back changing water. lol.

I have a digital bathroom scale. I could bring it along if you need me to.

Also I will take you up on your floaters. Just a few. For some reason frogbit doesn't grow in my tank but duckweed kills me. Too much water flow seems to be bad for frogbit

#179 ·
I know we talked about doing a raffle briefly. Would people be interested in a raffle, proceeds donated to hurricane relief at the NY Aquarium?

Fuze, I have a scale that'll do up to six pounds, but it requires an electrical outlet, and I'm sure people will be more than fine with approximate amounts. By the way, what kind of floaters are you talking about? I love floaters, no planting necessary, hehe.

#182 ·
I am glad to see that the meetup is put off until next week, so now I can make it. I can't wait to meet everyone.

Here is what I have to trade, if people want any item, pm me and I will bring it:

two 2.5 gal tanks, with some led lights
a marina 50 air pump
some red plants: Ludwigia peruensis, red myrio (heterophyllum)
6 - 8 least killie (H formosa) of various size, including some gravid females

looking for a scud culture, some green water and two 500 ml dosing bottle.

cheers.

#186 ·
Okay, I don't have pennywort, and it's not illegal here in CT. I'll take it off your hands with glee. I already have the other three, so I don't need them, but I also don't mind if they hitchhike along with the pennywort.

What would people like to have as a raffle prize? A nano tank? Gift certificate for somewhere?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.