The Planted Tank Forum banner

My 55 Gallon. Still a noob after 4 years.

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  GMYukonon24s 
#1 ·
Hey guys, my name is Nick. Like the title states Im still a noob after having this tank for 4, going on 5 years. This was my first aquarium, but since setting this up my attention has been mostly directed towards reef keeping. Im pretty sick of it looking like garbage so its time to turn this tank around!

This is what it is looking like now.

Resident female angelfish.

Driftwood with java fern growth.

I have been having some algae issues in this tank so I have stopped my dosing for now. I was using the PPS pro method of dosing. My photoperiod was also too long. And I was using all 4 bulbs of my 4 bulb t5 unit. :redface: Oops... Noob mistake! I am injecting CO2 24/7 at the the rate of about a 1.5-2 bubbles per second. I am using 0 TDS RO-DI water to do 20 gallon water changes weekly. That is all I can think of for now, but any input to better this tank is much appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
It definitely doesn't look like garbage. Maybe a few extra wires distracting the viewers - like the air stone probably isn't beneficial when you're injecting c02 as it'll just help get rid of the c02. The fish are probably fine without the airstone (and if they aren't okay, then you're injecting too much c02!)

I'd say your tank could use some prettier reds in there. The few that are in there make it look nice but adding some more will make it even nicer if that's the direction you want to go. Also combining plants so it's not all separated where each section is one type of plant may look more natural.

#7 ·
Hah. Fishing for compliments, perhaps? (I'm so punny.)

Nevertheless, it does look pretty good. You've got some good growth in there. It's not sparse, which is the only thing that I ever think makes a tank look "bad". (*glance at my own tank* eheheh. oops.)

I personally like the angles of the scape, how it's tall, then drops off and slowly slopes back upward. Its got a nice flow. I agree that mixing up the plants might make for more interest, but it's up to you :)

#8 ·
Well before this picture was taken it was pretty rough.... Lots and lots of algae.... I agree with adding more red! I really want to. Unfortunately the LFS's in my area dont have very good selections of plants and the ones they do have arent very healthy. Anyone have any input on what plant species to add to this tank to liven it up? Im very open to change and opinions with this project.

#9 ·
Algae isn't the worst thing that could happen :)

I don't know what plants would fill it well, personally, but if actually acquiring them is an issue, I know that the trade forums on here are allegedly amazing. If you want something, chances are someone will have it and be willing to send you a few stems, etc, of excellent quality for prices better than many online stores.

#12 ·
Tank looks great....

You could use some tall stems in the back corners to hide the equipment a bit and some excel to help with the algae (they say it helps and from what I can see from personal experience it does control the situation a bit)...

Other than that...Some strong reds/purples as others suggested and maybe some browns will complement your DW and give it a more interesting note.

#13 ·
I agree totally on the color scheme, some of the plants in this tank started to color up a bit better. Unfortunately my only option so far has been to add unhealthy plants from a LFS and hope for the best. Ill be buying plants from the buy/sell part of the forum Im sure. Its just a matter of when. :)

Thanks for the input everyone. The algae in this tank is starting to recede a bit which is making me feel better that I wont have to do a total tear down. Hopefully. The only problem Ive been having lately has been some HC that I picked up from a LFS refuses to root for me submerged... I have a spare 3 gallon nano that Im thinking about doing a dry start with... Does anyone have any input on what substrate or lighting to use? I was thinking Amazonia, but I am open to using some additives in the substrate if they really do help with carpeting plants like HC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.