The Planted Tank Forum banner

Aquaponics for Vegans/Anubias Farm

29K views 140 replies 46 participants last post by  dubels 
#1 · (Edited)
Content removed by DogFish

#14 ·
Your aquaponic made me think of how to do it in a bigger scale. So that means no shelf and having 2 pumps pumping back and forth. I wonder if it can be done with one pump.

I have a feeling you'll need to add extra ferts or feed more to the fish. Have you checked no3 , po4?

#16 ·
Some people dose extra Iron, epsom salt and seaweed extract.

Bigger scale: I have 2 IBC totes with the top cut off 200 gal tank for fish tank and top part as bedding. Works perfect, but I need more beds for the amount of water.

#17 ·
Great setup you have and nice growth!! I like how organized it is.

I just added 3 Ikea beds to my 75 gallon Tilapia outgrow tank, will be perfect for growing low veggies as lettuce, spinach, kale,...

I have a whitefly infestation on my broccoli, all the leaves were hanging today, I already tried to treat in the last couple of days with 1/1 oil water in spray bottle and soap and water mix in spray bottle, seems like nothing helps, do you know a better treatment? I don't want to use chemicals.

And Goldfish is just like Tilapia or catfish, the more you feed them the more poop they will produce, the more nutrients for the plants.

#80 ·
I have a whitefly infestation on my broccoli, all the leaves were hanging today, I already tried to treat in the last couple of days with 1/1 oil water in spray bottle and soap and water mix in spray bottle, seems like nothing helps, do you know a better treatment? I don't want to use chemicals.
I know your post was awhile ago but I thought I'd post anyways.

When it comes to our garden, I use two routes for whiteflies. Firstly, find the yellow sticky pads. They are essentially pieces of thin cardboard with an adhesive on one side. Hang these around plants and place some pieces on substrate. These are very effective at catching any flying or hopping organisms.

Secondly, pick up some neem oil and spray, spray, spray. These little suckers seem to stick around. I have found that it is best to spray plants when they are not in direct light. The refraction of light off the droplets can sometimes burn tissue.

The last thing that I can think of is, quite simply, ladybugs. The strategy with ladybugs is obviously keeping them on the plants. The easiest way to do this is by having the area enclosed, or to tie cheesecloth over the plant and release ladybugs inside.

~ Adam

#28 ·
I had no idea you were a vegan either....
I am so jealous of this set-up and that little nepenthe there...
My nepenthe continues to grow but I have yet to see a new pitcher. I'm hoping with the arrival of the cooler winter months.
Might also try some methods of increasing the humidity. Maybe that will help.
I dream of your veggies....
I'm getting sick of having to buy them.
My neighbor sprayed for bugs and all my veggies and my large collection of peppers died.
I'm crushed...
Good news in that he felt terrible and is willing to replace them all.. I'm just waiting till spring so that I can redo the soil in the bed... Plus finding all those pepper species is gonna be hard..
Might have some seeds saved...

This is really cool.
About what were you costs in building this?
I have a great love for fancy goldfish and am wondering if something like this would be feasible outdoors...
Ive got about 5 places I could stick one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.