The Planted Tank Forum banner

General Chat - Talk about anything!

70K views 1K replies 52 participants last post by  acitydweller 
#1 ·
Hoping this thread can be used for whatever nonsense, feel like asking questions? Ranting? Dropping in to say hi? Talking about your day? I'd love to hear about it.

Earlier today, there were comments on how we're all nerdy hahaha. So, what nerdy things aka hobbies do you guys like? I'm a big bio nerd and love learning up on animals and live stuff. And agreed, planted tanks...very sciencey. Too much, in fact :icon_eek:

This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
#981 ·
Hmm...I grabbed some 'red worms' from petland... I'm thinking these are tubifex y/n? Theyre very clumpy... like... they stay together in a mass..even if I plop a bunch into the water, they sorta stay bunched. Very tiny, stringy- kinda like hair. Vs the black worms I got there, that were much larger and easily separable when I swish them in water. How are tubifex different from blood worms? Theyre rather pink in the water, though its a red when I look at the cup.

#983 · (Edited)
One of my betta girls has fungus/fin rot.

:(

She had a little when I first got her back in July. I treated it w/ a tiny amount of BettaFix and it went away.

I feel like a bad mom.

She's in QT now.

Aquarium salt, Indian Almond Leaves, air stone.

Any other suggestions?

She has stress stripes bc she doesn't like the smaller tank.

I am going to clean the gravel in her real tank. She has a lot of plants in there, so I can't salt it.

Any suggestions/encouraging words welcome.

#987 ·
Toki so cute! I hope he forgives you soon.

Oy, guess I'm not the only one with fin rot... textbooks said I could do a potassium permanganate dip or treat with copper sulfate, assuming that the responsible bacteria were columnaris-like. I thought those were kind of extreme for Dart's situation (books were also a bit old school and geared toward food fish and koi). I'll go there if I have to, but I want to see if she'll fight it off with just the salt and raising water hardness closer to goldfish preferred ranges.

#994 ·
Oh I will investigate that. My blackwater is stewing in the kitchen. I did a 100% wc on her QT.

She's still grey looking. *verge of tears*. I am such a wussy.

I have just washed out her home tank well with dechlor, taken out all the plants (should I throw them away in case they have residual bacteria on them? I cd put them in my shrimp tank -- they have algae on them), rinsed out her gravel with dechlor.

Added various useful bacteria:

Dr. Tim's H2O Pure
Stability
Microbe lift Special Blend, Nite Out, Thera P

I think I needed to do 100% water changes, once a week, not just 25% every other day or so and my baby suffered for it.

She didn't have enough plants to handle the ammonia compared to the other tank.

Am getting a 1 g QT tank so dosing will be easier and she'll have more room.

Going to yoga now.

Hope everyone has a good day!

#997 ·
Oh man, I'm bummed.......
I nabbed a crayfish from work the other day (came from the feeder tank) ..it was super voracious, active...I put in worms yesterday and it would actually come take it from me. Kept it with the marmorkreb I got from the auction..all seemed okay..they didn't really interact.....
Found her dead (quite ripped apart and eaten) body today.................. :( I feel so bad! I didnt know he would do that uuuuuugh crayfishhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Well her babies are still alive... and... that extra baby that came with her is still growing. But still man... :(

#998 ·
I feel your pain.

For the past few months, I just keep losing shrimps constantly...now it's painful and slow because it's like 1-2 a day. It just slowly happens.

I lost 200 CRS in the summer...that happened in 2 weeks. Probably the heat.
12 blue rilis because i'm ignorant thinking shrimps will handle co2 even though they can't
20 pumpkin neo in a new tank, finally with no co2 but still dying...then found it was ferts. ugh

so now, I stopped ferts and co2, and I still lost another 12, only to realize maybe it's my flouish root tabs. i took them out, dumped all the substrate with all the root tabs, cleaned out the tank....discarded the dwarf hairgrass which needs all of the above and replaced it with dwarf sag which will be fine all by it self.

So this morning, I'm down to 10...lost another 2.

There is only one more explanation, the Evolve 4 tank that acitydweller sold me is jinxed. LOL

Keep in mind that i have another similar setup with shrimps in as well, with root tabs and excel added and they are fine. It's the tank!

10 more to go and then I'm done with shrimps and with on with pea puffers.

#1,007 ·
I'm scared. D: why didn't anyone tell me this earlier T_T

found him....

poor thing. I guess he made his way up the lucky bamboo sticking out of the tank T_T

So I'm not sure if the water params were out of whack or he really rebelled because I didnt feed the community for 1 day....

The rcs still seem happy :(

#1,017 ·
Ugh. Missed a water change due to getting back so late and feeling sick from the storm, was going to do it this morning but then had to run around like crazy because my big rabbit also decided to get sick so I had to pack her up to take her to the vet - did it just now and ARGH. I can arrest the development if I do the daily poop vacuum. Miss a day and it starts to encroach again. I need to do a bigger water change, I think. I should just get the water change hose even if I only use it to refill the tank after draining it. Running around with a two gallon bucket is NOT cutting it.

Spec, hope yours is doing better. I wonder if I should add melafix now, it's bacteriostatic ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.