The Planted Tank Forum banner

Planning on a 75 Gal

840 views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  HybridHerp 
#1 ·
Hey guys! I don't post here often just kinda lurk but me and the wife are planning to do a 75 gallon dirted when I get home from my deployment! I just need some guidance and suggestions on what I need for when I come home! I want a fairly basic hi-tech (if that's even possible :p) tank. I want to be able to carpet the front half of the tank with either hc or dwarf chain swords. So I need to figure out what i'm going to do for filtration, lighting, equipment, substrates etc! I just want the best bang for my buck! Thanks guys!

#2 ·
Personally, I would try and do a dry start if you want a carpet in a 75, should be a relatively simple thing to get going.

For substrate, I would get organic potting mix of some sort and use that as your base, probably enough to fill about the bottom 2-3" of the tank at the very least, up to you if you want to use more. Then, I would cap the soil with either pool filter sand (cheapest option), or some sort of small grain gravel. Depends on what you want for the color and all that jazz.

For lighting, I do like the catalina fixture that I have, its the 4 bulb t5ho with 8 led moonlights. I run 2 bulbs during my cycle, and then have the other 2 running on a burst effect in the midday.

Filtration, I do like my ehiem 2217's. They are reliable and have a ton of filtration. I have two on my 75, but I would go with as many as you deem fit. However, regardless of filtration, you will most likely need more flow in your tank. For that, I would recomend a koralia unit, I use the 750 personally, but I would ask around which model would be best for the plants and fish you plan on having.

I can't help you with co2, since I Haven't figured that out yet. I would recommend though that you get scissors, fishing line, hairnets, a really damn good pair of tweezers, and a thing to measure out our ferts for when you start adding them.

Good bit of advice as well, I would recommend that you plan out the kind of plants you want, their placement, and the fish you want well in advance. You don't nee to be set in stone, but at least have a few general ideas.

#3 ·
Awesome reply! It sounds like a good start to me! Right now I have a 45 at home with two t5ho's, canister filter, diy co2, and a bunch of chain swords with other plants. I'll post pictures of the tanks i've kept.
What do you think of the kessil A150W leds? I've never had any but they look great the only thing is justifying the price of them. They last long and don't use too much electricity.

#4 ·
I don't know much about them, but I would ask Hoppy.
He could tell you better than me the amount if PAR that those give off at the bottom if your tank.
I stayed away from led on my bigger tank because most plant based led are either not enough lighting, or are thousands of dollars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.